AHS Belgian White - Aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexun

Reaction score
Greetings! I just brewed my very first 5 gallon batch... a Belgian White extract from Austin Homebrew. I think it all went smoothly because their instructions were first rate. I do have one question though... it says "This handcrafted beer will taste best after 3 weeks of storage."

Is that 3 weeks including the fermentation time... or just the conditioning time afterwards.

BTW, this beer has an OG of 1.048 and a targed FG of 1.010.

Thanks for your advice. Don't wanna pop the cork too soon (but, don't want to wait excessively long either)!

PS: I'm not planning on going to secondary with this beer. I'm planning to use my glass carboy to age a Chimay blue clone that needs 4-6 months of conditioning (I have two fermenter buckets, the 2nd will be used to start the Chimay). Is this (not racking to secondary with the AHS Belgian White) a mistake?

A secondary is really never needed, unless you are aging for a long time, like your Chimay blue clone. I only ever secondary a beer for aging, adding fruit or dry hops, or if i need the space.

Also with a witbier I would never go to a secondary. They are supposed to be cloudy and a secondary will clear it too much

I would think that the beer would taste best with 3 weeks of bottle aging. Not just total aging. I have yet to come across a beer that doesn't taste better after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning.

I would think that the beer would taste best with 3 weeks of bottle aging. Not just total aging. I have yet to come across a beer that doesn't taste better after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Even when I force carbonate my kegs, I find that the beers just taste better after sitting for a few weeks when they are carbonated.

Your bottles may be carbonated in 7-10 days, but your taste buds will thank you for waiting 21 days!

Thanks for the quick responses! you guys are da bomb!

You look like a relatively new member as you only have 16 posts, so Im assuming you dont know all of the rules..... Since we responded so quick, you owe us each a case of ur homebrew..... :tank:

Back