AHS: 1% Alcohol Boost. Worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamhimself

Reaction score
Austin Homebrew Supply offers a 1% alcohol boost deal with its kits for an extra $1.99. It says it is " 55% maltose/45% glucose."

How does this work? and is it worth it?

Being a n00b myself, I'm not sure how accurate this answer is, but I would imagine the mixture would increase fermentable sugars, thus boosting the alcohol content. As to its worth, I don't know. I brew my beer for flavor, not necessarily alcohol content so I don't use it.

If you want the same boost, just add a pound of table sugar to your boil kettle...

I hate to be the "do a search guy"? But Its all over:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/1-alcohol-boost-43349/ , https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ahs-1-alcohol-boost-68357/ , https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/alcohol-boost-64973/ , https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/when-throw-alcohol-boost-26622/ , and https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/alcohol-boost-58529/

I am sure there are more too.

To sum it up. Some people think it is silly. Others think it is a good deal. Overall conclusion is that if you want a balanced, nearly flavorless, addition of 1% abv to your beer its a good choice.

On another forum there is a huge thread about how extracts kits are prime for adding 1 lb of sugar which will not only add ABV but also bring the FG down to where it should be since LME and DME are so inefficient (many extract users have problems getting to 1.012 and end up in the 1.018 range).

Then there is the whole "can you taste the sugar" which some say YES and most say it's a myth. There have been many blind tastings and it's been proven that you taste what you believe. Some swear they can. It's what you want to believe.

I have told people this had no sugar and they agreed when it actually did and conversely, I have taken AG batches and said it was carbonated with sugar and they said "Yea totally" and it was not. So . . . . it's all what you believe.

AS for the Alcohol boost . . who really knows. In theory it's good, can you taste a difference? excellent question.

Flavor aside, I don't see much point. When I forumlate a recipe, or even buy a kit, I'm basing it loosely around what I want the alcohol content to be. I wouldn't want to boost my Hefeweizen up to 6%, or my Mild up to 5%. I think its kind of a waste for most recipes. If you really want more alcohol out of a beer, just take a shot of Wild Turkey before you pour a pint.

I don't know about all of you, but the only reason I have a hydrometer is to know if my fermentation is complete. I could care less what my alc content is. I brew beer for my senses, not to get high. This is why I only drink 1-3 in a night. So on my side, that booster is a waste of $2

Oh, and if my friends ask what the alc content is, I just make up a number based on fermentables. usually around 5%. Most people can't tell the difference unless it is up above 7% anyway.

I've used it a few times. Mostly on summer beers that are generally low in alcohol content to give it a little boost. I have done the same exact kit one with and one without. Its all based on preference. I keep a few on hand to use once in awhile. I think its a good deal.

Flavor aside, I don't see much point. When I forumlate a recipe, or even buy a kit, I'm basing it loosely around what I want the alcohol content to be. I wouldn't want to boost my Hefeweizen up to 6%, or my Mild up to 5%. I think its kind of a waste for most recipes. If you really want more alcohol out of a beer, just take a shot of Wild Turkey before you pour a pint.

I disagree. A small boost in alcohol can be a small part of a beer. I would want to boost an imperial stout. Its not basing it on the alcohol content or wanting to "get high" its just about making a good beer. I mean in the end you are brewing something so that it contains alcohol. So, increasing that alcohol isn't such a bad thing if you just want a stronger beer.

That's like saying I make coffee for the taste, not for the caffeine. (which is not true at all)

If you want the same boost, just add a pound of table sugar to your boil kettle...

You can use table sugar in a Belgian beer. I wouldn't recommend it for most beers.

The alcohol boost is worth it if you want another percent of alcohol. If you don't then it is not worth it.

People that respond that don't want extra aclohol will tell you that it is not worth it. People that do want extra alcohol will tell you that it is worth it.

Don't ask all grain people if you should brew with extract.

Forrest

Alcohol Boost is the least expensive way to add a percent of alcohol without affecting taste or color. Some breweries use it.

It is certainly not for everyone. The people that don't use it, it is not for them. The people that use it, it is made especially for them.

I let the customer decide. I don't push it on anyone. We sell over 10,000 packages a year, so the people that use it really like it.

Forrest
Forrest

I disagree. A small boost in alcohol can be a small part of a beer. I would want to boost an imperial stout. Its not basing it on the alcohol content or wanting to "get high" its just about making a good beer. I mean in the end you are brewing something so that it contains alcohol. So, increasing that alcohol isn't such a bad thing if you just want a stronger beer.

That's like saying I make coffee for the taste, not for the caffeine. (which is not true at all)

Hmm, that is where you and I differ. I make beer, coffee, wine, cider and tea because I love the beverages. I don't do it to get high on alcahol, caffine or otherwise.

seems like a pretty cheap way of effectively boosting the alcohol level, and I think that is a very desirable thing. I just wanna know how many people use sugar, vs a professional boost kit or maybe their own home concoctions? any other success stories?

If you want boozier beer, it works well. I'd rather just have another beer.

To answer the question immediately above, I don't use sugar or anything else to "boost" my beer. I formulate balanced recipes. If I want more alcohol, I brew something that calls for lots of malt, and often lots of hops, like an imperial IPA.

Back