Ahoy-hoy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chemgirl

Reaction score
So I've been brewing 1 gallon, all-grain batches for a little over a year now.

I've been using this website as a way to check that some of my ideas make sense/won't destroy the beer. I thought it was about time to join so I can ask questions and hopefully learn more about different beer styles and brewing techniques.

So far everything has worked out and tastes good, but I'm sure there is a lot of room for improvement.

I look forward to becoming an active member of this community!

Partially so I can try different recipes and partially because I don't want to spend too much on equipment.

A friend bought a basic one gallon kit for her boyfriend for Christmas a few years ago and then he dumped her. She couldn't return it so she offered it to me because I'm a chemist and have some knowledge of lab techniques that carry over to brewing.

So the one gallon setup was free.

I'm also not the strongest person ever so I wonder about lifting and moving everything for larger batches. Right now I can do it all on my own, but I think I would need help with anything larger. especially with grinding the grain. I'm using a corona style mill with a hand crank right now.

What are you up to now that you've graduated from the Mr. Beer?

Welcome to the group!
I used to do 10-15 Gallon batches, but now I've gone both smaller and much larger.
3.5 gallon at home - its a good size for trying lots of recipes and enough to share.
And hope to have some 14-30BBL batches out later this summer.

What are you up to now that you've graduated from the Mr. Beer?

I believe I only made three or four batches from Mr. Beer before my LHBS convinced me to buy a 5-gallon bucket. I've been making 5-gallon batches ever since. I don't ferment in buckets anymore, though - just glass. I have been convinced there are boogeymen living in the microscopic abrasions of my buckets. Now they just hold StarSan water.

Admittedly, I don't feel super comfortable lifting my carboys either. I have to take them up and down stairs, to and from my basement. I've had to undergo physical therapy for my back (unrelated to brew-lifting :p), so I've been considering getting one of those rotating triple-wheel dollies for staircases.

Welcome to HBT.
And I'm for brewing whatever size you like.

Thanks! I was worried about not being "legit" enough for this forum with my little batches.

They work well for me though. It's fun, it's cheap, and I can do it all in my kitchen, which is important for me since I have limited space.

I live in a vertical house in a downtown area so I'm not sure where I would even make larger batches.

Excited to learn more!

Back