Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
I just did it. I feel like I just stood in front of Pandora's box, took a good long swig of HB, and kicked that b***h open!!

Let me explain...

I have a personality disorder. I tend to obsess over things. Golf. Tools. Beer. And now brewing (though I've not brewed anything yet, the desire has been strong with me for at least 5 years).

So after obsessing over equipment for the better part of 2 weeks (I should add here that I have lost sleep over this and at least 3 times dreamed of bubbling carboys and MLT's), I jumped in. But I kindof feel like I got away with something...

The kit I initially wanted to order was from Midwest Supply. Intermediate kit with two BetterBottles...$109. When I added that and a partial mash kit to the basket it was going to be $40 shipping!!!!!! $175 or so in total. So I cowed. I had to really decide if this is what I want to do. There is still more money to be spent after all!

So I decided to backtrack. I added the Beginners BetterBottle kit to the cart and lo, it was under $20 for shipping...so I added 2, 6 gallon BetterBottles and 16oz of StarSan. Did mine eyes deceive?? Only $23 shipping! Almost $150 on the nose!

I'm not sure what is up, but I feel as though I got an extra bottle and a thing of StarSan for $25 cheaper than the Intermediate kit and a beer kit and a beer kit. :rockin:

Who knows. All I know is that my brewing odyssey has almost begun. I feel different about this development than all my other hobbies...maybe because I love beer.

I hope to make you people proud! (In the meantime, please overlook my n00bish questions and general lack-of-knowledge. I mean well; I really do.)

Deacon

I don't know. All I know is I feel much better about it.

I see you completed the first part of the assignment I gave you in your introduction. Now it is time to stop dreaming and start brewing (as soon as your shipment arrives). What beer did you choose for your first?

Ah, I feel the force is strong in this one. There is hope yet.

The first jump is always the hardest. Now the hard part is keeping those BBs full and operational. Congrats!!!!

congrats on the plunge...

I never seem to do a hobby half way either.. when I make the plunge into it..it's all or nothing.

Get brewing and you'll find yourself addicted.

We have three bottled and waiting... and another one drinkable but it's going fast.

I think I get more enjoyment out of making it, than drinking it... although I do enjoy a good beer.

Oh Nurmey...I didn't get that far yet. It took all of my available energy to place the order that I did. I couldn't do something as important as picking my VERY FIRST BREW without considerable consideration. How could I possibly...

I have some time so I'll give it a good ponder over the holiday weekend. It's going to take some serious introspection I'd wager. I feel the weight of my insomnia upon me.

I cannot wait to fire everything up. The craftsman in me (I've taken a hands on approach to almost everything...built my computer, built my golf clubs, built home projects, going to build brewing apparatuses (apparati?), and finally build beer) is rearing to go. But I'm a study-to-the-point-of-insanity-then-go-for-it dude...I don't like feeling unprepared. Nothing like on-the-job training, but you gotta have a road map.

Sooooo....I'm thinking another two weeks or so and I'll have a plan. I'm going to take pictures, for posterity, and post them here for the evaluation of my peers (of course I use that term loosely...think "padewan" in reference to me, just to continue the SW analogy).

I look forward to sharing! Thanks for all the encouragement...

I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to hobbies..sounds like you are as well.

Picking the first brew is a tough choice to make. There are soooooo many. If you have a LHBS, go check out their kits. Or check out the kits from the place you're getting your set up from.

Get something close to what you like. My very first was a Nut Brown Ale. Even though it's been 10 years since then, I still remember that brew day.

"Pictures you will take, post them you will."

Look forward to seeing your first pint!

As a fellow insomniac, I think you ought to go full bore into a clone kit of your favorite beer, or at least go for the style. My first brew was a Brewers Best kit California IPA kit, and I managed to save one for its 6 month anniversary :). Its gone now, but I lay awake at night and think about beer less than I did 6 months ago. :D

Now I think about work/home/all the other things that don't need to think about when going to bed. Oh, alcohol and Tylenol PM helps too :drunk:

I cannot wait to fire everything up. The craftsman in me (I've taken a hands on approach to almost everything...built my computer, built my golf clubs, built home projects, going to build brewing apparatuses (apparati?), and finally build beer) is rearing to go. But I'm a study-to-the-point-of-insanity-then-go-for-it dude...I don't like feeling unprepared. Nothing like on-the-job training, but you gotta have a road map.

Deacon, just remember one thing: no matter what you buy, build, borrow or steal, your array of equipment will NEVER be complete. This initial purchase will be forgotten, and absorbed into the sheer mass of gear you'll accumulate. There will ALWAYS be some sort of device that you need which will help in some way, and you will lust after that device until you have it. Then you'll move onto the next device. That is the curse of homebrewing. It's a big part of the fun as well. :D

Oh Nurmey... I'm going to take pictures, for posterity, and post them here for the evaluation of my peers (of course I use that term loosely...think "padewan" in reference to me, just to continue the SW analogy).

I look forward to sharing! Thanks for all the encouragement...

Do or do not for there is no try.
I beleive that is the line from Yoda. Well man it sounds like you are on the correct path to becominf a Jedi Brewmaster.:ban:

Very nice Deacon. Sounds like you got a great equipment kit to start out with. BlindLemonLars is 100% correct... you will NEVER have enough brewing stuff. I just bought a chest freezer tonight.... WHOO HOO!!

Midwestsupplies is a great brew site to buy from. They are on mostly everybody's "top 3 online brew shops" list. They have cheap prices, but if you order A LOT of stuff at once, the shipping can be a killer. AustinHomeBrew.com and MoreBeer.com both have shipping deals. 6.99 flat rate for AustinHomeBrew no matter how much you buy, and Morebeer.com has free shipping on orders over $59.00. Keep in mind that their prices are going to be a bit higher to compensate for the shipping deal.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your first batch. Sounds like you are going to excel in this hobby.

BADS197 - You could not be more correct. My cousin is diagnosed OCD...I think I may have a few of those beasties swirling around in my DNA as well. It is really difficult for me to do any of my hobbies halfway...now if I just had that attitude about everything else!

As far as the "you can never have enough stuff" mentality goes, I am also ACUTELY familiar with that disorder. My array of golfsmithing equipment is testament to that. And the funny thing is after I amassed all of the tools and expertise I discovered that I needed to take a break or my blood pressure would cause the top of my head to explode. I really don't think that will be a problem in brewing because at the end of the day there's always a frosty HB waiting for you.

For me, I think the biggest draw (besides enjoying that which I have wrought!) is the connection with the past. I know I don't need to go into it here, but brewing has been around for more than 5,000 years. That, good brewers, is a LONG time.

Another thing that appeals to me is the fact that the average person thinks beer is brought into being by magic. They cannot imagine steeping grains and pitching yeast. "Creative control?! Why would I want to do that?? Are they out of Bud at the Kwiky Mart??" I guess it's really not their fault. More and more trades and crafts/trades are being lost to big business and automation. There's something to be said for the process.

Being able to bring to life a drinkable, drunkable, delicious libation seems like almost birthing a child. Hopefully it doesn't hurt as much.

For me, I think the biggest draw (besides enjoying that which I have wrought!) is the connection with the past. I know I don't need to go into it here, but brewing has been around for more than 5,000 years. That, good brewers, is a LONG time.

I love that too. And funny enough - that idea helps me not to get too nutso with equipment, and relax about technique. People have been making very good beer in open vats, and clay jars and wooden barrels for centuries. Heck, until 1857 and Louis Pasteur people didn't really know what yeast was.

So make sure you have fun with it - its a fun process IMHO. Shouldn't hurt at all :mug:

Deacon, just remember one thing: no matter what you buy, build, borrow or steal, your array of equipment will NEVER be complete. This initial purchase will be forgotten, and absorbed into the sheer mass of gear you'll accumulate. There will ALWAYS be some sort of device that you need which will help in some way, and you will lust after that device until you have it. Then you'll move onto the next device. That is the curse of homebrewing. It's a big part of the fun as well. :D

Not only this, but you will spend hours and hours contriving and building devices that you could have just bought from a store for $1.87 more than the parts cost. The device, once made, will only be saving you 7 minutes of a brew day.

And you will revel in it.

Feeling like a rockstar at this point. Just got off the phone with Midwest Supply and my stuff should be here tomorrow. Not only that, I engineered a fermentation chamber with 2" extruded polystyrene and got the thermostat hooked to the power supply and fan and it all kicked on like it was supposed to in the test phase. It may not seem like a big deal, but the one thing in this world that confounds and terrifies me is electricity. To feel as though I harnessed it to do my not-so-evil bidding is VERY gratifying...

Now if I could just get my cooler/MLT to quit leaking...anybody ever use JB Weld? =)

Feeling like a rockstar at this point. Just got off the phone with Midwest Supply and my stuff should be here tomorrow. Not only that, I engineered a fermentation chamber with 2" extruded polystyrene and got the thermostat hooked to the power supply and fan and it all kicked on like it was supposed to in the test phase. It may not seem like a big deal, but the one thing in this world that confounds and terrifies me is electricity. To feel as though I harnessed it to do my not-so-evil bidding is VERY gratifying...

Now if I could just get my cooler/MLT to quit leaking...anybody ever use JB Weld? =)

JB weld is my 2nd favorite thing(1st being beer :D ) I cant answer any brewing questions (yet) but JB weld, have at it.... how can I help?

I appreciate the response man. I did some research online and with the JB Weld guys and got the answers to my questions. The stuff is UNREAL. It is quickly ascending the ranks of my favorite things too. I love it.

So I made another order...spreading the love around. This one was from Austin Homebrew. I got all of my stuff from Midwest yesterday. I realized after I ordered my extra better bottles that I forgot to order airlocks for them. Soooo....here's what I ordered today:

40 Qt SS pot ($62 on sale...best price by far on a stainless pot of that size I've found)
2 airlocks
2 carboy caps
Ingredients for the Bee Haus Pale and EdWort's Apple Cider

Seems like I'm missing something..oh well, you get the point.

Anyway, It should be here early next week which makes Brew Day on Sunday (stupid out-of-town wedding on Saturday). I'm so excited I could do a cartwheel. Thankfully I am no gymnast and I appreciate my ability to walk, therefore there is no need to endanger said ability. I shall stroll casually until Sunday!

*refer to title of thread*

Back