Agitating your wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightstalker

Reaction score
I tried to find a thread that mentioned this but as with many things .. example talking to the wife .. if I do not use the EXACT word(s) it will get thrown in the completely opposite direction I was going LOLOL. So new thread hopefully new question .. I am on my first 5 gal batch and my air lock has slowed down to a bubble every 2 minutes. Just to help make sure all fermentation is complete do any of you agree/disagree that you should swirl/agitate the wort without introducing any O2. As in just twisting or giving a gentle shake to the bucket back and forth causing a swirling motion of the liquid. My cousin who has done 10+ batches says he does this on occasion especially with big beers. Hopefully this is not another question that causes tension as we all need to remember no matter what we do, if the beer we make is good to ME ... I dont care what you tell me to do :cross: :tank: .. Thanks for the help and any advise on the experiences you have had.

sure give it a gentle swirl to rouse the yeast back into the beer. You can also try to warm the fermenter to promote additional att. by the yeast.

Id like to know this too. I dont swirl or anything to stir yeast back up but i give it a lil bump ya know a love tap that says HURRY! Be honest i play rock and roll for mine! Hey if it works for vegtables then why not?

I do not agree that you should agitate the beer to ensure complete fermantation as it may only agrivate the gods who may make liquid corrugation of your nectar.

Instead, let scientific method be your muse and a hydrometer your scepter. Through numerical prose your confirmation will reveal itself.

Unless the numbers deny that fermentation has reached terminal status.

Then you can just swirl it up to try to re-rouse the yeast.

I swirl ... lol

I handle the fermenter by moving it about. To clean or check etc...

From what I understand if there is no visible flocculation there is no point to swirling, but that's me theorizing

I generally point at my bucket shouting obscenities but it just never seems to agitate the yeast, peaceful little bastards pick and choose their battles carefully :)

+1 with Gila, the hydrometer will tell all.

Unless you have a stuck ferment,there's no need to swirl up the yeast. In your case,I'd say it's not quite finished yet,but close. Be patient & let the hydrometer tell the tail of your deads.

Back