Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verratti

Reaction score
I read a lot of thing about homemade wines and how some wines don't age well, while others ages very well. I read somewhere about things that helps in aging wine such as higher alcohol (13-15%) more body, acidity and tannins. Since there's a lot of people here that knows a lot about wine, I wanted your advice as Im not a big wine drinker and would love to age some wines for 5+ years.

High alcohol wont help a wine age, however acidity and especially tannins will. To skip all the science, the best tannins have antioxidive powers which help protect the wine. A lot goes into an age-able wine ie. sparging with inert gasses, careful closure selection, microbial stability, temperature control, etc.

Do you have a place where the wine can stay roughly 55-59 degrees for five years? More importantly do you like aged wine? Old wines lose their vibrant fruitiness and become more musty, leathery, and earthy, if that's not for you it may not be worth all the effort. I'd try some old wines, they'll either turn you off or you'll catch the wine bug. Bordeaux, Chinon, Langeudoc are all good value regions.

Generally, the "bigger" and bolder wines age well. Barolo, Amarone, Tannat, etc will age well. Whites do not age well (lack of tannin) and fruit wines tend to not age well either but it depends on the fruit. A big bold elderberry wine will age well, but a dandelion wine will not.

I did a tannat wine, fermented on merlot skins, that aged extraordinarily well. That wine is now gone, but the last bottle was over 6 years old when we consumed it.

Five years is a very long time for a wine to age, and most homemade wines would be past their peak by then. Often, a year or two is about when a wine would peak.

so really tannin is a major factor in wine aging? I have a kit of Amarone that I'll start in about 2 weeks. I hope it ages well. Other then that for my home wines I guess I'll adjust its tannins, acids and alcohol and body to help it age as much as possible. I'll see the outcome.

It's not necessarily the tannins that help a wine age, it's the anthocyanins that are associated with tannins. While these anthocyanins are the key, there is really no way to easily alter their presence in a kit wine. Small amounts of untoasted oak during the very end of ferment will help with color stability and age ability. Adjusting acids and sugars are a help to producing a balanced ageable wine, but if pushed rather than nudged the wine will feel clunky. Most juice kits just aren't meant to age, and most folks can't afford a ton of grapes where they can choose at what sugars and acids to pick.

I would also say many whites do age well, Chablis, Mosel Riesling, Savienerres, Sancerre, Champagne. You can hardly drink a Montrachet for it's first five years. Plenty of domestic wines are hopping on the high acid bandwagon too, I had a 14 year old CA Chardonnay a while ago that was absolutely still fresh and vibrant.

well a lot of sites and experts claim that tannins are essential to aging potential. one site say's this

Role of tannin in wine

For the wine drinker and wine collector, tannin is welcomed. Tannins prevent oxidation and are in part responsible for a red wine's aging potential. Like the hides I first mentioned...tannins help preserve.

On other sites they say that adding tannins in the primary fermentation helps hold its colour and the components in the wine.

well a lot of sites and experts claim that tannins are essential to aging potential. one site say's this

Role of tannin in wine

For the wine drinker and wine collector, tannin is welcomed. Tannins prevent oxidation and are in part responsible for a red wine's aging potential. Like the hides I first mentioned...tannins help preserve.

On other sites they say that adding tannins in the primary fermentation helps hold its colour and the components in the wine.

That is overly simplistic but partially true.

so really tannin is a major factor in wine aging? I have a kit of Amarone that I'll start in about 2 weeks. I hope it ages well. Other then that for my home wines I guess I'll adjust its tannins, acids and alcohol and body to help it age as much as possible. I'll see the outcome.

Oh it will age well. and slow too. For me Amarone ("the great bitter") is a test of patience. The kits with the grape skins are are hugely tannic. I have a CC kit that has been in the bottle for 3 years, and a WE kit that is going on 2 years. They are slowly getting better. If you like big reds make a Brunello or a quality Cab, and let that Amarone sit.

Back