Aging..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexmatt86

Reaction score
I just brewed a pale ale. Fermentation went fine it is now about 3 weeks in the primary carboy. Can i Move it to a different carboy and let it sit? or do i need to carbonate it and get let it sit in bottles?

I don't want to get any off flavors from letting it rest on the yeast too long.. That's my primary concern.

Thanks!

Welcome to HBT!

You can leave it for several more weeks where it is at or rack to secondary. Many of us leave our beers 4 to 6 weeks in the primary. I have gone up to 3 months in primary and the beer was fantastic.

As for the secondary, you can leave it for as long as you like before carbonating. I've gone 18 months before carbing and it turned out great.

After the yeast has eaten all the sugar, it will eat its waste and clean up the flavors. Autolysis isn't really much of a concern unless you are fermenting at extraordinary high temperatures. We've had guys leave their beer for a year in the primary without issue.

Back