Aging unfiltered brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks_Yeasties

Reaction score
As I generally understand with the commercial yeasts available and used now that you don't have to worry about autolysis within an usual fermentation period (less than 6 months or so). And moving out of the primary to secondary will move a brew off the yeast cake. So my question is if you bottle condition, say a stout, and you age it for a for a time period past when a dormant yeast gives out. Is it just not enough yeast to affect the flavor? Had a few brews, felt like questioning ha.

You can taste autolysed yeast, it has a soy-sauce flavor. Yeast from bottle conditioning can break up and contribute this flavor if aged for a long time.

So what do most people do if they are making a stout they want to age for quite some time? Do most breweries have to use micron filters to prevent this problem or is whirlpooling usually enough to prevent it form being a problem?

I'd like to make a few stouts for this winter which I would bottle condition but I'd like to leave some sitting around for next winter for taste comparisons and am wondering will I run into autolysed flavors?

Back