Aging strawberry cider finally coming good :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa101

Reaction score
I bottled a 23L batch of strawberry/apple cider 3 months ago. OG was 1.054, FG after adding strawberry syrup and before bottling was 1.02. I wasn't looking for anything strong, just something refreshing and sweet for the upcoming summer.
Using my trusty 600ml plastic bottle as a carbonation indicator, I realised that I should've added some sugar pre-bottling, because after a month there were barely any bubbles. So I just played the waiting game.........
I tasted one after a month of bottle conditioning........had a FANTASTIC smell, but a little too much bite, just a tad too bitter.
After 2 months in the bottles, I started opening a bottle every week. Each time I open one, it seems to taste better and better, but still not perfect.
Opened one just now after exactly 3 months of bottle conditioning, and carbonation levels are near perfect, smell is unreal, but that zingy bite is still lingering.

Anyone have experience with really long bottle conditioning? I'm accustomed to drinking a sweeter cider after a maximum of one month of conditioning.

Best to stove top pasteurise and let it sit for a while longer?

Age does wonderful things, I've aged cider as long as a year & you might find another month or two, or even six will be just what your cider needs.
Regards, GF.

Back