Aging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
What are the benefits of bulk-aging vs bottle aging? I have a robust porter that I'm hanging between leaving in the fermenter or going ahead and bottling. I have plenty of empty bottles and not many empty fermenters. Should I just let it ride in its fermenter? Or will it age well in bottles?

After years of trying it every which way but loose for me that best taste is achieved with 1 month in primary then 1 month in the keg at serving pressure. Then drink.

I like the idea of bottle aging to prevent oxidation.

My fermenter is a glass carboy with an airlock - I'm not 100% convinced that they are completely air tight. I would feel uncomfortable aging for prolonged periods of time in my fermenter for that reason because as the yeast go dormant they stop producing CO2 to displace any O2 that might potentially leak in.

I see no downside to aging in the bottle, and only possible advantages. So why not?

^This is my opinion, not something I would argue as verified fact.

You're fine to age them in the bottles so long as fermentation is completely finished - otherwise you risk bottle bombs. In fact, as some of the users above have pointed out, you decrease the chance of oxidation by bottling them. However, you do risk drinking them fast and possibly before they've peaked.

You're fine to age them in the bottles so long as fermentation is completely finished - otherwise you risk bottle bombs. In fact, as some of the users above have pointed out, you decrease the chance of oxidation by bottling them. However, you do risk drinking them fast and possibly before they've peaked.

Hahahaha you nailed it. I've ended up drinking some pretty green ones. I know SWMBO would be happy if I got some of this mass of bottles off the counter. Just wasn't sure if there was a big advantage in leaving it on the yeast cake after fermentation is done.

Hahahaha you nailed it. I've ended up drinking some pretty green ones. I know SWMBO would be happy if I got some of this mass of bottles off the counter. Just wasn't sure if there was a big advantage in leaving it on the yeast cake after fermentation is done.

Aging on the yeast cake for periods > 1 month would risk autolysis. I understand not transferring to secondary, but I don't think experienced brewers would recommend aging for prolonged periods on top of a yeast cake.

Anyone else have different opinion?

autolysis is generally not considered a problem at all on the small scale of homebrewing, as I believe that one of the factors contributing to autolysis is the massive weight pushing down on the yeast cake from the volume of liquid you'd get in a professional brewery setting. It's generally considered ok to leave beer on the yeast-cake for a fairly long period of time.

Latest posts

Back