Aging a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnhoskins

Reaction score
So I have my first original recipe bottled, it's a little stronger take on a DFH 90 min, with a different variety of hops (chinook, magnum, and centinial in the boil, chinook in the dry). Anyhow, I'm pretty proud of it (naturally, I'm kinda a noobie, lol) and I'm wanting to age a few bottles to see how it ages. It's about 11.2% abv, and 124 ibu according to beersmith. How do I store it once it's done carbing in the bottles? Do I just leave it at 70 degrees or should I store it in the fridge? Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

I'm pretty sure that most will say to store it in the fridge if you have the room for it, and your certain they are carbed up. But leaving them at room temp shouldn't be a problem either.

^^^^ what he said.
as long as you dont put them in like 100* room, you're golden.

Just keep them where you're storing everything else, and when you want to drink them, pop them in the fridge for a few days at the minimum
however... you could just buy an extra fridge.. lol

I have a my fridge from college that I keep on the mid-to-high temperature settings, probably 45-55 degrees. Beer matures wonderfully in there, and is just the right serving temperature. If you've got a basement that stays about the same temperature all year round, that would work too.

As far as aging, I believe it ages best at cellar temp 55-65. A fridge will hold the beer but it wont grow it complexity as much as aging at cellar.

Back