Aggressive Fast Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Reaction score
Bought this Fast Ferment thinking I would have plenty of head space for Krausen. Guess again!
Momma was not happy, got the call while at work that my beer was on her carpet.

image.jpg

My house sour blend will take off like a rocket and if not warm, will produce serious krausen. The last beer I used it on ended up popping the bung out twice (thought it had subsided after the first time).

That's a 7 gal fermenter with 5 gal of beer in it. I thought it was safe. I wonder why some beers go crazy like that.

That's a 7 gal fermenter with 5 gal of beer in it. I thought it was safe. I wonder why some beers go crazy like that.

There are several reasons this happens.

Healthy Yeast - Means that the yeast was fresh.

Pitching Rate - Slightly over-pitched will usually cause this.

Fermentable Sugars - Usually seen with sugar additions or 'Low & Slow' mashing temperatures and time.

Fermentation Temperature - All yeast like it warm. Ideal temperature for fermentation is based on ester production and flavor qualities. If you ferment at the high end of that range and don't account for the temperature rise of the fermentation, you are fermenting any where from 5*F to 10*F above that temperature range. Higher temperature, more active the yeast will be, but also more like to produce off flavors, aromas and fusel alcohol.

Also yeast strain. WLP530 / WY3877 in particular comes to mind. Need a damn blowoff no matter what. And then itll zombify and need it again after krausen starts receding for no reason. Gotta babysit the bastard

Back