Ageing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwaite

Reaction score
I'm just wondering around how long most meads need to age before there good ? Is it about the same as wine? I made a blackberry mead. Only a gallon of it. Sooo when I do drink it I want it to be friggen prime time.

Minimum default is 6 months but anything after a year will yield a much better potential (unless its very oily then wait 2)

It really depends on your yeast and fermentation management.

With a good deal of fruit and a cool fermentation it could be good in 6 months.

Too much time on the seeds, high fermentation temp, or using certain yeast could require more than a year.

Can't remember the yeast ... Just some cheap one. As far as the temp it don't get over 70 in my house this time of year .

nwaite said:
Can't remember the yeast ... Just some cheap one. As far as the temp it don't get over 70 in my house this time of year .

Fermentation produces heat so that the must probably fermented a few degrees warmer, but it can be a higher if fermented in a closed space or blanket.

What so I should rap a blanket around it or its good at 70 being the highest ?

nwaite said:
What so I should rap a blanket around it or its good at 70 being the highest ?

I wouldn't go higher than 70.

I'm doing a mead with 71v-1116 right now at 51 degrees.

Normally right around 65 is good.

Really, the biggest thing for me is the alcohol content, intensity of the flavors, and the fusel alcohol character...

If you made a reasonably low alcohol mead (<10%) - then it will be more drinkable sooner...
If you added super intense flavors - then sometimes they need to age longer to mellow.... Say you used a LOT of blackberry and those blackberries were very acid - it might take a while to mellow... If you only used a little and they were fairly mild, it will be better sooner rather than later....

Really - the only way you will know is to take a sip once in a while...

6 months sounds like a number where if you take a snip - you will know if it needs to sit longer or it tastes great and is ready.

Thanks

My meads are drinkable at 6 months, but even better at 12 months. If I were in your position, I'd start drinking some at 6 months, but save half for the full year. If you like what you're tasting at 6 months, start a new batch.

That's a good plan ... But I only have a gallon made up so if I start drinking and its good I won't stop. But ill get some more honey when I can. Maby with my tax $ and do a 5g bach . Oh god .... Just thinking of it is giving me a chubby .....

Back