Ageing in Oak Barrels question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to start experimenting with ageing in oak barrels. Do I stay with the standard 5-7 days primary fermentation then pass it straight to the oak barrel or do I need to prime with dextrose as I would for bottling, then pass it to my oak barrel?

Thanks,

Never barrel aged a beer before, so take that into account. But I don't think you'd want to prime it before racking into the barrel. It would chew through the sugar and create CO2. I am assuming the CO2 would diffuse through the barrel or would build up pressure. Neither of those would be helpful.

Just rack into the barrel and then either keg or prime&bottle after aging in the barrel. Top up from time to time if you age a long time.

Why would you think it needs to be primed? I'm curious.

But no, you would not do that. You treat the barrel as a secondary, which is exactly what it is. Rack in, age to taste

Sort of thought maybe the yeast would not last. But seems obvious now. A no brainer by my part. :p

I've read the temperature should be around 16-19 degrees Celsius in the store room. Does this sound right?
Thanks

Back