Age longer and carb quicker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkbag

Reaction score
Hey All,

I made this for a special occasion

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-award-winning-home-brew-recipes-3#slide-3

It's been in the primary for 2 weeks exactly (it's at 1.010) and I have 12 days till the party. I plan to cold crash for a day or two before kegging. You think I should cold crash now and give myself about 10 days for carbing, or let it age / condition more, and then try and fast/burst carb it?

Also -- is there middle ground between burst carbing and set and forget it? Like 10 days prob won't be quite enough for set and forget, but can I just set it at 12PSi or whatever for a week and crank it up if it's not ready, or best to start higher and then go lower?

Thanks!

Hey All,

I made this for a special occasion

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-award-winning-home-brew-recipes-3#slide-3

It's been in the primary for 2 weeks exactly (it's at 1.010) and I have 12 days till the party. I plan to cold crash for a day or two before kegging. You think I should cold crash now and give myself about 10 days for carbing, or let it age / condition more, and then try and fast/burst carb it?

Also -- is there middle ground between burst carbing and set and forget it? Like 10 days prob won't be quite enough for set and forget, but can I just set it at 12PSi or whatever for a week and crank it up if it's not ready, or best to start higher and then go lower?

Thanks!

Aging won't improve the beer- keg it now or cold crash it now, and then keg. If it's two weeks old, and done, it won't get "doner" while sitting.

If you want to do what I do when I want to carb a beer up relatively quickly, you can keg it, and put it in the kegerator (40ish) and set it at 30 psi for 36 hours and then purge and reset at 12 psi. Drinkable in 3 days, but better about day 5-7.

Aging won't improve the beer- keg it now or cold crash it now, and then keg. If it's two weeks old, and done, it won't get "doner" while sitting.

If you want to do what I do when I want to carb a beer up relatively quickly, you can keg it, and put it in the kegerator (40ish) and set it at 30 psi for 36 hours and then purge and reset at 12 psi. Drinkable in 3 days, but better about day 5-7.

Hey - thanks! I always have trouble getting my head around ageing/conditioning and when it should be done and what it benefits etc. . . And that carbing method sounds like exactly what I need.

I usually don't agree with Yooper on aging a beer but in this case I think she is right. The only thing you would likely gain by leaving the beer sit longer is dropping out more yeast. Cold crashing will do this.

Back