Age in carboy or bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownstairsBrewing

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is any reason to rush to bottle. I have racked a couple of batches from primary fermenter to a carboy, and I am starting into the range where they could be bottled. But I am in no rush, and have a lot more carboy storage available than I do bottle volume. Am I better off getting them into bottles, or can I just leave them in carboys (dark, ~17C/62F) for a couple of weeks?

Depends on what the brew is, really. Bulk aging in a carboy is perfect for big, malt forward beers. Highly hopped or lower abv would be better served being consumed. I'd move a pale ale to bottle and a robust porter could cruise in the carboy for a while longer.

Bulk age in a carboy works if you are trying to add flavors...I mean adding fruit, or adding vanilla beans etc.

Bulk aging sound like the best thing for you. Think about the style of beer though. A couple weeks won’t hurt a malt forward pale ale but it will affect a hoppy ipa.

On the other hand bottle aging is more fun ‘cause it’s easy to sample and watch the flavors change.

Bulk aging sound like the best thing for you. Think about the style of beer though. A couple weeks won’t hurt a malt forward pale ale but it will affect a hoppy ipa.

On the other hand bottle aging is more fun ‘cause it’s easy to sample and watch the flavors change.

If you bulk age in a corny, you can sample any time you want, though it's not carbed. That being said, I typically bulk age big stouts and such where the lack of carbonation isn't a big deal. I usually run the pressure up to about 10-12 psi and put a spunding valve on set to 15 psi, but at 60 degrees, that's not much carbonation. I had a high gravity porter that I put a manual valve/gauge on that just kept generating pressure but the gravity didn't drop. I'd drop the pressure to 5 psi an d a day or two later it would be at 12 or more. I was sure it had an infection, but the flavor was good and, as I said, the gravity didn't change. The way that beer behaved during the aging process (about 3 months), is still a mystery to me.

Aging in bulk is good for beers that have a IBU:GU ratio that really favors the GU (original Gravity Units), and that had an original gravity higher than around 1.075 (or even better, an ABV above 8% or 9%). Barleywines, Doppelbocks, Belgian Strong Ale, english Strong Ales, Bocks, and strong Stouts usually age well.

Almost any lager kept in proper lager temperatures can benefit from bulk aging. If you make a hoppy pilsner, I'd probably recommend you bottle that up.

Hoppy stuff or low original gravity / low abv ales, you should probably drink them sooner rather than later. Although I've had great luck keeping moderately strong sweet stouts a while before drinking, and my berliner weisse aged fantastically.

Just remember that yeast can get pretty dormant after a while, so if you're keeping it in carboy for more that a few months you might consider adding a little yeast at bottling, or just giving it more time after bottling for the yeast to wake up, or keg it.

Interesting stuff - as it turns out, one is a lager, the other a West Coast IPA, so it sort of splits.

The IPA has been in secondary for nearly a week now, after one week primary fermentation. Sounds like the consensus is I should bottle it this weekend.

Back