AG tasting like extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
So this past weekend i received back my first scoring sheets from the first beer i entered in a competition. On the same day i had taken some of my beer to the LHBS to share.

One of the sheets i received back in the comment section said "extract? partial mash?"

Then one if the patrons that tasted the beer i had brought down (different style than entered) asked if it was an extract after tasting.

So my question is, will extracts taste like less of a beer than AG. If so why did i get asked if it was an extract? I have never heard that before until this weekend. Just wondering if there is any kind of technique that might make someone think it was extract. or if maybe i just need to change up the recipes. or if these guys are just goofy.

I guess a higher-than-expected FG could be an "extract-like" flavor, which could be from a too-high mash temp, poor conversion (pH, temp, etc).
Lack of complexity might lead some to taste "extract-y", depending on the style of beer.

I didn't think about is I had a higher FG it might taste off. Do you think if I had underpitched my yeast I might end up with a higher FG than expected?

Latest posts

Back