AG is not as good as everyone says it is.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwitt

Reaction score
It's Way More Better.:rockin:

I just tapped One of my 1st 3 ag batches and it is awesome. This batch was a cream ale. It is the best batch of beer that I have ever made.

I've been brewing extract off and on for over 20 years. During that time I would upgrade with better equipment and try new procedures refining my process. With each tweak my beer would get better.

I have finally hit the mother load of all tweaks by going AG.

I am just amazed at how much better the beer tastes.:ban:

I can barely wait now for 6 more weeks to tap the Lager.:mug:

Awesome! Congrats on your success. I guess now you are hooked (be prepared for the obsession to REALLY begin now!).

:mug:

Like canned soup the dried or liquid malt will never compare to the freshness of fresh cracked grain.

Cheers and congratulations on the switch...

clearestbeer.jpg

Welcome aboard! Now you won't be able to look at a pot or cooler or anything without considering how it can be worked into your setup.

Welcome aboard! Now you won't be able to look at a pot or cooler or anything without considering how it can be worked into your setup.

QFT!
I thought I was the only one that looked at stuff not even related to brewing and thought "How can I include that gadget?" Probably just for the sake of buying something related to brewing.

Oh yea, its so much better isnt it? Just dont go telling the extract guys that. They get all riled up when you tell them AG is better.

QFT!
I thought I was the only one that looked at stuff not even related to brewing and thought "How can I include that gadget?" Probably just for the sake of buying something related to brewing.

LOL! I have been in the how can I use that to make beer club for a long time.

SWMBO gets pissed any time I go shopping with her because when I see something Interesting I say ooh I bet I could use that to make beer.:)

Last summer when I was shopping for a riding lawn mower I would tell her we could get a small trailer and I could put a small fridge with a generator on it and pull my keg behind me.

I settled for one with a cup holder on the fender.:D

I give you credit for sticking to extract for 20 years!

Welcome to the club! :mug:

There were many years in there when I didn't brew. I started when I was in college. For about a year I started a batch per week. 2 weeks in primary and then bottled. (boy have things changed since then.)

Got married and had kids and stopped brewing for a few years. Got back in for a while then stopped again.

Started back up last year with a new outlook on brewing and decided to go all out. I set up a kegerator with an old fridge. Got another used fridge for fermentation and then focused on all grain.

Man it sure has been a fun year.:mug:

It's Way More Better.:rockin:

Agree 100%!!! :mug: There is no comparison to extract whatsoever. I used to read all that crap about how you can make good extract beers... RUBBISH!!! AG is where it's at... Fresh grain + full-wort boils + better hop utilization = tastier, clearer, lighter (style permitting), fresher, more real brews. Can't argue with that - it's science.

Oh yea, its so much better isnt it? Just dont go telling the extract guys that. They get all riled up when you tell them AG is better.

See above!!! Ha, I'll tell them this all day long! :rockin:

Man, I switched to AG a little while ago and have done a couple batches, but I haven't been able to try any yet. I can't wait to finally get to drink them!

Now you won't be able to look at a pot or cooler or anything without considering how it can be worked into your setup.

+1 But it was like that with Extract for me....and wine.....I would look a the decorative glass in Target and think....Wonder how many gallons of mead that would hold...or Wonder if I could fit an airlock on that....or APFELWEIN could go in that.

There is no comparison to extract whatsoever. I used to read all that crap about how you can make good extract beers... RUBBISH!!! AG is where it's at... Fresh grain + full-wort boils + better hop utilization = tastier, clearer, lighter (style permitting), fresher, more real brews. Can't argue with that - it's science.

In defense of the extract beers, I made many extract batches that were very good. Sure I made a few styles that I didn't care for or I may have gotten an old kit but IMHO as long as you don't wind up with an infected batch any extract kit will make a beer that is better than most commercial beers.

There are many things an extract brewer can do to improve the process and get better beer. That is what I did over the course of 20 years and each time I tweaked the process the beer got better.

The biggest thing I found that changed when going AG was better control of the color on the lighter beers and the fresher taste.

I am looking forward to improving the process with my setup and trying new styles that I was not able to do before.

+1 But it was like that with Extract for me....and wine.....I would look a the decorative glass in Target and think....Wonder how many gallons of mead that would hold...or Wonder if I could fit an airlock on that....or APFELWEIN could go in that.

+1 I was at my lhbs yesterday eyeing the 6 1/2 gal. carboys so I could dedicate one of my 5gal ones to APFELWEIN. I started a 1 gal test batch 3 weeks ago and it is looking good. I havn't tasted it yet but smells wonderfull.

Back