After the set it and forget method of Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenLuva

Reaction score
After setting the CO2 tank on 11 once carbonization is completed should I reduce the pressure or let it remain on 11, I'm worried about over carbonating? :confused:

If your system is balanced, it CAN'T overcarb at the "set and forget"/serving pressure. That's the beauty of set it and forget it- you put it on serving pressure and keep it there. It works especially well when you have several kegs. Instead of keeping it high, purging, resetting to a dispensing pressure, then returning it to carbonation pressure- you just set it and forget it.

Step 1: Set.
Step 2: Forget.

It seems like you're having trouble with step two. As long as you remember to replace the batteries in your carbonizer, you should be fine.:p

Seriously though, as yoop said, the challenge with the "set and forget" is not getting the carbonation right, that's the easy part. The tougher part is getting a good pour from the higher pressure, which is usually achieved by the correct length of beer line or a trick like this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/ which I use.

What they said.

There is a table that is floating around or stuck to the top of this particular forum that shows temp/psi/CO2 volumes just follow that for the set and forget method. I'm brand new to this (for homebrewing anyway) and it has worked perfectly for me.

Set.

Forget.

Come back to it in about five days or so and start drinking... if you can wait that long. :D

Force carbing is great, but it can be a problem when you've only got one regulator branching to 3 kegs like me. If I try to force carb the newly kegged brew, I either have to shut off the other two lines or remember to purge them each time I want to pour a beer. Waste of CO2, and even then the other two beers get overcarbonated.

Back