aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Kayos

Reaction score
No, but believe it or not, that is not much aeration. If you don't have mechanical aeration, use the wisk, then use a funnel with a screen to pour into carboy, then shake the crap out of your carboy for a few minutes. I had 2 really long fermentations that I believe to be due to the lack of geed aeartion. Since I started this method, all has gone better.

*** if you slice your wrist because you dropped your carboy while shaking and die, I am only the opinion holder of these views and shall not be held responsible***

hence my love of better bottles

Orfy

For the love of beer!
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Nope but to do a 5 gallon batch, it's gotta be a big whisk.

Better yo pour it into the fermenter from a height or through a strainer.
If it's a carboy, shake the crappolla out of it!

Put a tennis ball under it and rock it rapidly.

malkore

Reaction score
I whisk as the bucket fills. its a lot easier to aerate a smaller volume, so aerating as you go is more efficient than whisking all 5 gallons.

OP
B

BeerAg

Reaction score
I like malk's suggestion.

It is a fairly big whisk, and I usually do a pretty good job at making the beer pretty frothy with some vigerous super-whisk action, but continually whisking as I fill seems like it should do the deal.

malkore

Reaction score
I only have lag times beyond 4 hours when i use liquid yeast (cuz I'm not making starters, yet...).

ajf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A whisk is likely to scratch the bucket. Once scratched, it should be retired as the scratches can and will harbor infections.

-a.

JoSeR

Reaction score
As I understand it dry yeasts go partially through the lag phase (when they need oxygen) in the lab before they are dried so oxygen isn't as critical for dried yeasts. I plan on using more liquid yeasts and it sounds like I should pay more attention to aeration.

Spyk'd

Reaction score
I use a siphon sprayer connected to the valve on my kettle and have airlock activity almost immediatly (starter, of course).

Here's a picture of it in action. Notice all the froth and foam it generates.

Orphy uses (or used) a similar device that was basically a piece of copper tubing with tiny holes drilled in it about two inches from the end that would suck in air as the wort passed, thus aerating it.

I think either of these are better solutions to shaking a glass carboy.

P.S. I don't normally use a bucket, but all my carboys were tied up and it made a better picture anyway.

:cross:

Latest posts