aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but believe it or not, that is not much aeration. If you don't have mechanical aeration, use the wisk, then use a funnel with a screen to pour into carboy, then shake the crap out of your carboy for a few minutes. I had 2 really long fermentations that I believe to be due to the lack of geed aeartion. Since I started this method, all has gone better.

*** if you slice your wrist because you dropped your carboy while shaking and die, I am only the opinion holder of these views and shall not be held responsible***

hence my love of better bottles

Nope but to do a 5 gallon batch, it's gotta be a big whisk.

Better yo pour it into the fermenter from a height or through a strainer.
If it's a carboy, shake the crappolla out of it!

Put a tennis ball under it and rock it rapidly.

I whisk as the bucket fills. its a lot easier to aerate a smaller volume, so aerating as you go is more efficient than whisking all 5 gallons.

I like malk's suggestion.

It is a fairly big whisk, and I usually do a pretty good job at making the beer pretty frothy with some vigerous super-whisk action, but continually whisking as I fill seems like it should do the deal.

I only have lag times beyond 4 hours when i use liquid yeast (cuz I'm not making starters, yet...).

A whisk is likely to scratch the bucket. Once scratched, it should be retired as the scratches can and will harbor infections.

-a.

As I understand it dry yeasts go partially through the lag phase (when they need oxygen) in the lab before they are dried so oxygen isn't as critical for dried yeasts. I plan on using more liquid yeasts and it sounds like I should pay more attention to aeration.

I use a siphon sprayer connected to the valve on my kettle and have airlock activity almost immediatly (starter, of course).

Here's a picture of it in action. Notice all the froth and foam it generates.
P3040024.jpg

Orphy uses (or used) a similar device that was basically a piece of copper tubing with tiny holes drilled in it about two inches from the end that would suck in air as the wort passed, thus aerating it.

I think either of these are better solutions to shaking a glass carboy.

P.S. I don't normally use a bucket, but all my carboys were tied up and it made a better picture anyway.

:cross:

Back