aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrowsNest

Reaction score
i've got an old aquarium pump and hose. can i just sanitize the outside of the hose and stick it in the carboy without a stone on it? just the hose pumping air in.

i'm sure a SS airstone would work better, i'm just not really interested in investing any money in this.

I believe a lot of folks do just that...

The THEORY is though that you're increasing your chance of infection quite a bit because the inside of the aquirium pump is probably not sanitized, especially if it has been sittin' around for a while, neither is the inside of the hose.. Plus, you're simply taking air out of the .. ehh... air... which isn't sanitary (why we use air locks) and pumping it directly into your beer.

That all said... I believe a lot of people do exactly that.

you SHOULD use a stone (helps dissolve o2 into the wort) and a HEPA filter to reduce bacteria and mold spores from entering into your wort. The stones are $2 and the filters are $5.

you SHOULD use a stone (helps dissolve o2 into the wort) and a HEPA filter to reduce bacteria and mold spores from entering into your wort. The stones are $2 and the filters are $5.

Yeah, I use a HEPA filter on my air pump. It came with the air pump from Austin Homebrew Supply, but they sell the filter separate as well:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_352&products_id=2289

You can sanitize the stones and the plastic tubing. They say not to touch the stones as the oils from your skin can cause clogging.

Currently I put my BK on a table, open the ball valve 100% and let it gush out into the open air and into a big sieve to filter out any hops. The cooled wort is literally propelled at least 1ft through the air before making contact with the sieve, then it falls another 2ft into the kettle. (this sounds messy, but it's not)

If I hook up a line to the BK so that it flows through a line (instead of the air) to the kitchen sieve, do you think using a pump without a HEPA filter would be any worse than what I'm doing now?

I bought a fish tank pump from WM ($9), Fish tank stone from WM ($3) and some hose. I also bought HEPA filter for a window AC and set my air pump on top of it. I put the stone in the carboy and turn the pump on as I drain/cool my wort. Been using that method for the last 10 batches and haven't had a problem.

I set my fine mesh strainer on top of the FV,& pour the wort & top off water through it. I get a couple inches of foam doing that. Then stir with my paddle for 5 minutes straight. Works way better than just stirring.

If you are fermenting in a glass carboy, and are physically able just shake it. You'll get the same 8 PPM of oxygen as with an aquarium pump, with less trouble. An easy alternative is to attach something to your powerdrill that will agitate (I used to employ a "wine whip" for this purpose).

If you are fermenting in a glass carboy, and are physically able just shake it. You'll get the same 8 PPM of oxygen as with an aquarium pump, with less trouble. An easy alternative is to attach something to your powerdrill that will agitate (I used to employ a "wine whip" for this purpose).

Exactly what I was going to say. If you are making 5 gallons, I say just shake the crap out of your carboy.

I have been using a paint-stirer on my black & Decker drill, and for lower gravity brews I find it functions. However... If you're making a high gravity beer (maybe over 1.060) you'll probably need more oxygen. I'm about to try a .05 micron stone and Co2 tank!! Not really very expensive, and you're sure to get enough aeration!!

Back