Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgull8502

Reaction score
Today I was reading the off flavor flash cards from bjcp.com. I noticed that a listed cause of oxidation/cardboard flavors is hot wort aeration. Is this true?

I have been brewing extract recipes for over a year now and always pour my wort into some ice mixed with water and then shake like hell. Usually it still has to cool down much more until its ready to pitch the yeast. So far I haven't had any problems with off flavors.

Am I just lucky, is my wort just cool enough so that it doesn't matter, is this a myth, or does it only matter for all-grain brewers?

Exactly Stevorino (obviously your a fan) , O2 introduction in the beer from HSA is minimal,but more over Oxidation or reduction reactions that produces the stale flavors in beer are going to happen no mater what, and you can't prevent beer from going stale you can just prolong the shelf life by practicing proper packaging techniques, and storage.

I really like the Brew strong series they do a good job of simplifying some big brewery topics down for the practical home brewer. And like how the emphasize good brewing practices. The HSA show though I particularly liked, my background is in molecular virology and biochemistry, so I really got in to it. Dr. Charles Bamforth is an excellent lecturer as well so its an entertaining hour.

Back