Aeration stone flow seems too slow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
I picked up the aeration stone/regulator from morebeer.com and tried it out this weekend aerating my first all grain. The air flow from this thing is not what I expected at all. It is very slow, slow enough to make me think there was something wrong with it. Instead of leaving it in for only 2 minutes which I was planning on I left in for over 5-10. In the end I got a small but creamy looking head which looked different from some of the videos I have seen. Couple that with the fact it took about 16+ hours for the yeast to start working I thought I would post and see if this was all normal. The yeast was safale 05 that I rehydrated and the gravity was around 1.058.

yes, where are you getting your O2 from?

Also, remember that the yeast will consume the O2 BEFORE starting to produce ETOH and CO2. So a well aerated batch will actually take a bit longer to start than a poorly aerated one.

I aerated with an aquarium stone from Petsmart yesterday. The flow doesn't seem too hearty to me, especially when compared to the videos I've seen of people using the oxygen bottle setups. I ran the pump and stone setup for 30 minutes and I had airlock activity somewhere between 3 and 5 hours after pitching. I say that span of time because that's when I looked. At 3 hours nothing, at 5 it was going along happily.

I believe the 2 minute time you're referring to would be for straight oxygen.

ETA: I've got to get my glasses on. I see you say regulator, so you're using O2. Guess you might have a problem...

mr x said:
Are you using a new oxygen tank?

Yes. Now that doesn't mean someone didn't buy a new one and then take their empty one back to HD for a refund but as far as I know it was new.

My stone is capable of producing quite large bubbles, but I don't allow that to happen. If you can see the bubbles, the O2 isn't going into solution. A small white foam layer sounds about right.

The one I have also came with a hepa filter, I wonder if that cuts back on the airflow.

I have the exact same set-up that you do, and I have the same problem (or situation). I was glad to see that you posted this! :confused:

stever said:
The one I have also came with a hepa filter, I wonder if that cuts back on the airflow.

are you using PURE O2 from a red welding tank, or an aquarium pump?

the pump is way less output than the red welding tank. there's no need for a HEPA filter if you're pumping in O2. if you're using an aquarium pump, use the HEPA.

malkore said:
are you using PURE O2 from a red welding tank, or an aquarium pump?

the pump is way less output than the red welding tank. there's no need for a HEPA filter if you're pumping in O2. if you're using an aquarium pump, use the HEPA.

yes I am using the little red o2 tank. the regulator from morebeer came with the hepa filter and thought "what can it hurt" I will have to do test with and without it to see if that is the difference.

Honestly, it sounds as though your stone is clogged. Try this: soak the stone for a couple of hours in a PBW solution, then soak it for 15min an a StarSan solution and then boil it with distilled water (no calcium to clog stone) for 15min. Run the system after you do this and see if it helps. I have also heard than soaking the stone overnight in an acidic solution/or alcohol might help. If this doesn't help the stone might be faulty, in which case you can get a new one or try to exchange it.

Iordz said:
Honestly, it sounds as though your stone is clogged. Try this: soak the stone for a couple of hours in a PBW solution, then soak it for 15min an a StarSan solution and then boil it with distilled water (no calcium to clog stone) for 15min. Run the system after you do this and see if it helps. I have also heard than soaking the stone overnight in an acidic solution/or alcohol might help. If this doesn't help the stone might be faulty, in which case you can get a new one or try to exchange it.
Good advice.

I have the same setup with the HEPA filter and I can get mine to put out lots of O2. Is the filter put on the right way. Follow the arrows on the rim.

The instructions also state that you are not supposed to handle the stone with your fingers because of the oils may clog it.

so I just took the stone and ran it in a glass of water just to see if I could get an idea of the action. In a clear solution I could see there were no clogs an I was getting a nice slow steady stream of bubbles. I guess my initial use being in wort it was hard to see how vigorous it was. Thanks for all the input.

Back