aeration if using a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I am happy to see how well and quickly the fermentation is progressing on my latest batch of Haus Ale, after using a well-aerated starter.

My question is - if the yeast in the starter are happy with plenty of aeration, do I need to worry about the aeration of the wort ?? (I rocked the bucket for abt 1 min anyway .. )

Well you'd be aerating to give the yeast a way to multiply significantly to start a healthy fermentation. If you feel you already accomplished this through a big enough starter than it theoretically wouldn't be necessary. I'd do it anyways though.

OK - guess they can't have too much O2 ! I will continue to shake, and down the road I will get an O2 tank.

If you pitch your yeast at the recommended rates, 15M per ml for ales, the yeast will continue to reproduce to about 100M per ml before fermentation really kicks in, so about 3 more generations. Yeast take 1-2 hours per generation depending on temperature so for those 3-6 hours they will need a bit of oxygen. 12ppm O2 is generally enough, which is a 30 second blast of oxygen thru an airstone.

Latest posts

Back