Aeration after chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horsepuncher

Reaction score
Typically I get my wort down to about 80° then throw in the fermentation chamber overnight to chill down to pitch temp. For those that do it this, do you aerate before pitching yeast or just pitch?

I always aerate/oxygenate when pitching liquid yeast (from starters).
Are you pitching liquid yeast starters or dry yeast?

Dry yeast manufacturers have removed or are removing the aeration step lately, as well as re-hydration before pitching. Not sure if it is to reach a larger market by reducing potential hurdles and complexity, reformulation, or research. Doing only 1 vs. 1-2-3 surely is appealing if the results are at least the same or better.

I always aerate/oxygenate when pitching liquid yeast (from starters).

Dry yeast manufacturers have removed or are removing the aeration step lately, as well as re-hydration before pitching. Not sure if it is to reach a larger market by reducing potential hurdles and complexity, reformulation, or research

I agree with your recommendations, however just because a yeast manufacturer says something doesn't necessarily mean it will yield the best result possible. Whitelabs says to ferment vials of 001 at 70-80 degrees. Sure it will ferment, but the esters will be through the roof.

My point is that I'm not sold on the "just sprinkle the dry yeast" recommendation. I've always had better results rehydrating. Like, night and day better results with the same strain (US-05).

Latest posts

Back