Aerating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
I made a cherry style mead last weekend and posted about it here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/what-yeast-use-161827/

I put the 71B in water per the packet instructions and then poured it in on Tuesday morning. It still hasn't started - in fact, there is a little bit of suction going on in the airlock that I've been watching. I know it can take a bit to start, but I have to admit I'm a little surprised it hasn't.

I haven't exactly aerated it. I've kind of sloshed it around a little bit. Do you think that is it?
Mind you, I'm a cider maker first, a wine maker second, and just dabbling in mead. My beer making cousin noticed I didn't aerate a cider, so he did it for me. Oye! It was pasteurized sweet "cider" that I had worked with before so I knew the SG and pH without testing, so didn't handle it at all except to pitch the yeast. Without sulfites, the aeration turned it brown.

Otherwise, this is my first time working with 71B. Is it a slow starter?

You should aerate for atleast a few days and add nutrients.

What was your process? Did you just add honey to the juice at room temperature?

Did you get an OG reading?

When you reydrated the yeast did it give off a good stong yeast smell? If not it may have been a bad packet.

In the mean time give it a good 5 minute stir everyday till you see some action. Did you give it nutrients already?

Next time you pitch give it a good 5 minute stir or shake minimum. I'm lazy with my ciders too. I just spread the yeast on top and let it soak for 5-10 min then give it a short stir.

What's the temperature? While aeration is a good thing, the yeast come with enough sterols built up to go 5-6 generations so that isn't a critical factor for getting through the lag phase.

Airlocks are notoriously poor as an indicator of fermentation. Do you see it bubbling on the surface when you stir it? What is the current gravity?

Aerating isn't needed when you first pitch yeast. It doesn't hurt, but it's not needed for the yeast to take off. Too much time has gone by for your yeast, if you don't see any activity (bubbles/foam). I would repitch another packet of yeast, but, preferably a packet that you didn't get at the same time/place as the last yeast packet you pitched. Occassionally a store will get in a bad batch of yeast.

You may want to check all of your ingredients to insure there wasn't any potassium sorbate or other preservative in there.

Almost 5 days now, and no activity. I did sort of swirl it around a bit last night.

Medsen - it's in the laundry room, which is about 65 degrees.

You may want to check all of your ingredients to insure there wasn't any potassium sorbate or other preservative in there.

Ingredients were
Oregon Fruit Products Bing Cherries - cherries, water, and sugar (apparently kosher as well) http://www.oregonfruit.com/
Fred Meyer (store brand) Red Tart Cherries packed in water - red tart pitted cherries, water
Walnut acres Organic Cherry from 100% juice & concentrate with vitamin c & natural flavor - Organic apple juice (filtered water, organice apple juice concentrate), organic cherry juice (filtered water, organic cherry juice concentrate), Organic cherry puree, natural flavor, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). http://www.walnutacres.com/product_view.php?id=24&cat=juice
The honey was Silverbow Honey from Moses Lake, WA and bought from Costco. http://www.silverbowhoney.com/

My first mead was a slow starter. It took about 7 days before there was any sign at the airlock. I think the problem was the nutrient that was used. Check the sg and if it has not changed and more nutrient and aerate. Yeast need o2 to reproduce so that there is enough of the little beasties to ferment the honey.

That first batch spent 4 weeks in the primary before it was racked. Og was 1.120. Sg at 7 days 1.090. So i didn't do anything to it. Bottled at 11 weeks with fg 1.010. everyone loves the stuff.

Hope that helps.

That first batch spent 4 weeks in the primary before it was racked. Og was 1.120. Sg at 7 days 1.090. So i didn't do anything to it. Bottled at 11 weeks with fg 1.010. everyone loves the stuff.

Hope that helps.

Well, if anything, it gives me the idea to maybe pasturize and bottle rather than toss it.

I wouldn't worry about pasturizing. If the Specific gravity hasn't changed you could always add more nutrient and energizer, aereate and repitch with new yeast.

Oh, I didn't mean now. Yes, that was one of my thoughts - to repitch with Premire Cuvee in a few days. But if that really failed, bottle.

While 71B can have a loooooong lag phase when cool, at this point, if the gravity is not dropping, I'd pitch another packet of yeast after proofing it.

Latest posts

Back