Aerating Before Dropping Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiowa

Reaction score
I always aerate my cooled wort using O2 and a stone after tranfering to my fermenter. I have always aerated and then dropped my yeast into the wort, sealed everthing up and waited for fermentation to begin.

My question is, Can I drop my yeast into my wort and then aerate? Does it make any difference when the yeast is dropped? As a side note I always do a starter the day before.

Your comments are welcomed...

TD

I would be interested to hear opinions as well as I do the exact same thing. I always aerate prior to pitching though because when I open up the regulator, while it's not a ton of foam, the wort foams up a bit and I don't want to spread my yeast (being carried by the foam) all over the top of my carboy. I aerate, let the foam die down and then pitch.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to this, but based on all of my readings and experience, I'm going with no major issue either way. Just don't aerate once fermentation has begun.

if you are using a starter I don't think you need to worry about the foam carrying it away. the amber I made Sat I started aerating then dropped dry yeast in. I had the stone barely bubbling so very little foam. I was hoping for a little mixing help since I never like the way dry yeast ran for the walls. It did help mix it, but when I pulled the stone out there was some yeast hanging to the tube and stone which was difficult to get off since it had begun rehydrating and sticking. At least it still would have been in the fermenter if it had stuck to the walls. I'm having very good fermentation though, even at 63-65*.

I always aerate then pitch my yeast then aerate again. Fermentation usually starts with in 3-4 hours but if I don't see any fermentation taking place by 6 hours I'll hit it with the O2 again.

It doesn't matter. I've done it both ways and they work fine. Aerating the wort with the yeast in certainly won't physically damage it or anything. A lot of experienced brewers will in fact advocate multiple aerations for high-gravity beers after the yeast has been introduced, but before significant attenuation has taken place.

Back