Advice with my first BarleyWine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michiganjoe

Reaction score
Sunday I began my first attempt at an extract BW. After two days with a blowoff tube I now have a bubbling airlock in place. I used 10lbs light DME, 1lb crystal malt, and a ton of hops. 90 min boil. 5 gallon yeild. I pitched the wort on to a massive yeast cake (British Ale) from a previous batch of brew I bottled on same day (Mac n Jacks clone). My temps are good and the initial activity appears good.

My question is/are, what should I do now? Should I leave it in the primary for _________weeks or ________ months and then ______________? Please fill in the blanks. Should I age with wood and if so, when and for how long. I have read so much conflicting info I need some direct and educated advice.

Also: I did not aerate other than shaking the hell out of it after pitching. Am I screwed. I understand that I am not using a barleywine-type yeast. I dont need to make an extremely alcoholic brew. I just want this to be a decent first BW. Its not cheap to brew this!

Big beers need a lot of aeration ...... and then some. Pitching on a yeast cake might save you.

Leave on yeast until you are certain that it is finished. A month is not a problem. After that, it's up to you; bottle or bulk age, but probably don't want to drink for 6 months.

If the FG is high, you might want to try increasing the temperature up to the high 70s to get a couple more points out of it. You could also try adding some table sugar. Adding a pound of table sugar might take it down 1 or 2 points and give a little more alcohol to offset the sweetness. Just make sure the yeast is capable of working to that level of alcohol.

Back