Advice required

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnykildare

Reaction score
Hi. I pressed apples on 15th oct and ended up with 330 litres of juice. The juice was split between 2 (140) litres drums, a 20 litre bucket and a 30 litre keg. Decided to leave the 20l bucket and one of the 140l drums as natural just sealed and bubler attached. The other 130l and keg, I killed yeast and added yeast.
My query is that the 20l bucket and the 30l keg are bubbling away while there is still no movement on the drums. The drums and keg are being stored outside in a shed with coats wrapped around them. Any ideas on why fermentation had not started or any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Measured 1040 when pressed.
current reading is 1.050
Something is not quite right. Sure about those readings?
SG is the only reliable way to monitor fermentation progress. The airlock can be deceiving if there is a leak.

Temperature, pitch rate, and nutrients may all affect fermentation speed.

If it is indeed not fermenting yet, you could warm it up to at least 10°C (50°F), or just be patient.

SG is the only reliable way to monitor fermentation progress. The airlock can be deceiving if there is a leak.

If it is indeed not fermenting yet, you could warm it up to at least 10°C (50°F), or just be patient.
Thanks

I was incorrect on the first measurement, it read 1.045 but that was taken straight after pressing and only off one of the buckets going into the barrel. Reading of 1.050 was taken tonight from juice taken from tap of full barell. Should I wrap the barrels in a duvet or something similar to dry and keep cold out and keep steady temp?

I don't think blankets will help warm, only stabilize.
Maybe a heater or electric blanket could help get them started.

Nothing bad is going to happen from it being too cold. It just takes longer to ferment, which is generally a good thing.

Stick-on thermometers can help monitor temperature.
20181024_174514.jpg

Here's one at 56°F (13.3°C)

Stop worrying, have a homebrew or a cider. Cider isn't beer and doesn't have to be done in a week.
Just leave it alone, slow and cold fermentation is better.
But, if you really want to kick it off a little faster, take a few gallons from your smaller vessels that are bubbling and dump it into the barrels.

Stop worrying, have a homebrew or a cider. Cider isn't beer and doesn't have to be done in a week.
Just leave it alone, slow and cold fermentation is better.
But, if you really want to kick it off a little faster, take a few gallons from your smaller vessels that are bubbling and dump it into the barrels.

Exactly! And a cider that is too cold for a yeast fermentation is unlikely to become infected by bacteria. I've had ciders take up to a week to start fermenting in 5-7 gal carboys at temperatures around 45 F. Slow fermentation reduces loss of aromatics and also reduces the chances of sulfide odors from stressed yeast fermentations that are too rapid and become nutrient-depleted.

Thanks for all the replies ;) Not worrying really, just wanted to ensure that it wasn't too cold to ferment. Never fermented au natural and not on the same scale. Sure will just leave alone and see how it looks again in a few weeks. Out of curiosity, what kind of timeframe would you reckon it will take for the natural barell to ferment?

Hi, the seeded barell is bubbling away but the natural barell, still not a peep. Took hydro reading and both read 1.3 so both must be fermenting? Natural one darker in colour and sweeter. Both nice though . If there is a leak should I change the lid, have a spare one. Cheers

Looks like ~1.030, so that would suggest that you are somewhere near 1/2 fermented if you started around 1.050. If the cider tastes good now (i.e., not like vinegar or old socks), then there's nothing to do but wait for it to complete fermentation.

Thanks ten for your reply, much appreciated. Would there be any harm in putting a new lid on the barrel to see if that is where the leak is as not a peep on the airlock?

Back