Advice on Ordinary Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
I'm making Jamil's Ordinary Bitter recipe (again) and have two questions.

First, it calls for two EKG hop additions, but I have some hallertau and magnum hops left over...would it affect the flavor to use either of these as the 60 min addition?

Second, the grain bill is 7lb pale malt, .5lb crystal 120, and .25lb special roast. How would I modify the recipe to give it a little more caramel flavor? More crystal? Another crystal in addition to the 120?

Thanks for any feedback,
John

First, it calls for two EKG hop additions, but I have some hallertau and magnum hops left over...would it affect the flavor to use either of these as the 60 min addition?

Yes, there is going to be an effect. The magnum has a very differnt level of alpha acids so it's going to be much more bitter. I would not substitue those one for one. The hallertau are close in alpha acid, but there still will be a subtle difference in flavor. So, if you really want to substitute your bittering hops, go with the hallertau.

How would I modify the recipe to give it a little more caramel flavor?

Cut back or eliminate the roast malt and add some caramel malt (either more of the 120 or perhaps something lighter).

Thanks, JR. I would account for the different amount of alpha acid if I substitute to get the same bittering, I'm just wondering how much of the flavor (if any) would change by substituting for EKG.

John

If you're going to switch, as was previously suggested, I'd go with the hallertau; you might taste a tiny difference in the herbal / floral range, but it'd be slight. But using the same rough amount of low alpha hop will help to preserve a bit of the light tannic / vegetal character that the "large" EKG charge will add (and is nice in a bitter IMO).

For caramel, I like to throw carastan or similar light crystal in (1/4 to 1/2 lb per 5 gals) to round out the sweeter / toffee flavour. With that load of 120, going with 1/4 lb should suffice, without putting you into an overly crystally range.

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, my Hallertau is 4.3% (the EKG I spec'd in the recipe is 7.2%) and I don't think I'll have enough to cover the IBU's, so maybe I'll just buy some more EKG.

John

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, my Hallertau is 4.3% (the EKG I spec'd in the recipe is 7.2%) and I don't think I'll have enough to cover the IBU's, so maybe I'll just buy some more EKG.

John

Interesting, most sources show EKG coming in between 4-5%. If your recipe is at 7.2%, you may be low on alpha acids even if you do use EKG.

Maybe I wasn't clear, the recipe actually assumes a 5% EKG, but I adjusted the recipe based on the 7.2% EKG I bought from the local shop to get the right AA. Not sure if it is normal or not, but the last 4oz of EKG (2x2oz) I bought were 7.2%, probably from the same crop.

John

Back