Advice on my next brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
Well I took others advice on a IPA, and loved it. I am looking to do another brew in the future. I have done mostly Ambers. I am looking to do a LIGHT colored beer, I am not affraid of taste, I have made a NUT BROWN ALE and liked it. I like bitterness , I will be doing another IPA but I like to have a varity to offer friends and family. I also do not:mug: have the means to lager. so that is out.

Any advice or recipes to try?

Wheat beers make nice quick spring/summer drinkers. I am looking to brew my own here soon;

6lb Wheat DME
8oz Wheat Malt
8oz Cara Pils
1oz Liberty 4% @ 60 min

To date this is the best recipe I have had for a Hefewizen, I generally use Safale WB-06 but I think I am going to try some WLP300 for the next batch. I let it ferment for 10 days then bottle and the fresher it is the better it tastes.

I also do not:mug: have the means to lager. so that is out.

Well, you could use a lager recipe but use a clean ale yeast if you want a lager like beer.

Nottingham and mauribrew ale yeast are pretty clean. So is muntons gold (gold not the other one).

Some find safale s-05 (formerly s-56) to be fairly clean, but I haven't used that one in ages so I can't remember what i thought of it.

If you like bitterness then I suggest a Czech Pilsner done with nottingham. I like the IBU's to be around 40 on that one.

I'm guessing your an extract brewer. Get some light extract, pils extract if you can find it. I make mine with a touch of honey malt but that has to be converted.

Try 9 lbs pilsner extract (or pale)
1.5 oz Northern brewer 60+ minutes
1.5 oz Saaz last 15
1.5 oz Saaz last 5 minutes

Nottingham yeast

Enter this into beersmith and adjust to your liking. You can replace the northern brewer with another bittering hop. Should be easy to figure out the amount if you use beersmith. Try and use a low cohumolone/high alpha hop for bittering.

This was converted from an AG recipe so I bumped up the Hop amounts a tad since you will get a bit less utilization if you are not doing full boils. Regardless try for around 40 IBU.

Hefe-weizen and my WPA are my favorites right now. I bottled a hefe last night and brewed the WPA in my dropdown on Saturday. I'm kind of at a loss on what to brew next myself.

How about a nice pale ale? Flavorful, but still appeals to a lot of people. You could use a kit or try a recipe from here...

Little Creatures Pale Ale clone - just starting one myself today. Having drunk the real think (on tap and bottled), I'm really hoping it's similar. That'll be a win!

Having made 10 extract brews since beginning, not really following any recipe, I've decided to do a run of clone recipes to then play around and see how small changes can affect the final outcome. Self-directed learning at it's best.

I was thinking of the ale teast with a lager recipe, I like Sam Adams Boston lager and I have a clone recipe, If I were to substitute ale yeast will it still come out good? What would the flavors come out like?

Any of you out there do this and did you like the results, Thanks again for all the info.

I was thinking of the ale teast with a lager recipe, I like Sam Adams Boston lager and I have a clone recipe, If I were to substitute ale yeast will it still come out good? What would the flavors come out like?

Any of you out there do this and did you like the results, Thanks again for all the info.

As I said earlier, if you use a clean ale yeast, like Nottingham, it will come out fine. See post #5.

It will taste simular.

Lager yeasts have there own charecteristics but you can get pretty close with a neutral ale yeast, especially if you can keep to the lower end of the temp range.

Lagering is cold conditioning for a signifigant amount of time. Cold conditioning will mellow out flavors and help with clarity.

I happen to know that Tree brewing here (makers of Hophead) uses an ale yeast for one of their "lagers".

My Czech Pilsner recipe has been made with Nottingham and Mauri Ale yeast. My Czech neighbor and his buddy visiting from Czech swore it tasted just like home. I didn't tell them it was technically an "ale".

Im getting in on this a bit late but try BierMuncher 's Centennial Blonde. I did an extract version and had my first taste yesterday. Nice!

Perhaps Sam Adams Boston Ale is what you're looking for. Here is a clone recipe from one of our Boston LHBS:

http://www21.inetba.com/westboylstonhomebrewemporium/filecabinet/recipes/boston_extract.pdf

I'm considering doing this recipe next, so let us know if you decide to take a crack at it!

Back