Advice on Modifying an LME Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wemet

Reaction score
I'm going to brew Midwest Supplies' Black Dog Ale kit (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/black-dog-ale-kit.html) this weekend. I received the kit as a gift and I'm little worried that the end result might be a bit "light" tasting for my likings.

Have any of you tried this kit? What are your thoughts on it?

I was thinking of adding 1/2 of Extra Light DME, adding another 1oz Mount Hood hop addition with 20min left in the boil, and then dry hopping with some Citra (I attached a snapshot of the recipe).

Do you think these modifications would work well with this recipe?

Capture.JPG

That's too much crystal 60L in my opinion. Cut it to 1/2lb for less sweetness. When I change a beer kit, like a Cooper's for instance, I think of the kit as a base from which to turn it into another style I want. So I'd take the LME can & add DME & hops appropriate to the style desired in the end product. Like taking a Cooper's Draught can, add 3lbs Munton's plain light DME & a couple ounces of American hops for flavor & aroma. Like cascade & amarillo, or citra & simcoe, stuff like that. I'd wind up turning the Draught can into an APA for example. My 2c anyway from what I used to do before I got Beersmith 2.:mug:

That's too much crystal 60L in my opinion. Cut it to 1/2lb for less sweetness. When I change a beer kit, like a Cooper's for instance, I think of the kit as a base from which to turn it into another style I want. So I'd take the LME can & add DME & hops appropriate to the style desired in the end product. Like taking a Cooper's Draught can, add 3lbs Munton's plain light DME & a couple ounces of American hops for flavor & aroma. Like cascade & amarillo, or citra & simcoe, stuff like that. I'd wind up turning the Draught can into an APA for example. My 2c anyway from what I used to do before I got Beersmith 2.:mug:

The Crystal 60L is actually steeping grains that come with the kit and reviews on Midwest's website for this kit are pretty stellar. All I was looking to do was add some DME and some hops to give the beer a bit more body and aroma.

In that case, it's being used for color as much as the sweetness obtained from it as well. I prefer to use no more than half pound of crystal & use other grains in small amounts for color to avoid too much sweetness. But that's my opinion of course. Maybe they untended to get a touch more sweetness in the recipe/

Ya, a lot of the reviews say it has a fair bit of maltiness to it. I guess I'll know for myself soon enough! Thanks for your input.

Back