Advice on cooling 13 gallon fermentor (In Florida) for steady temps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
My brother brought down this fermentor (pic below)

ZUnvA4X.jpg

But it's too big to fit in a spare fridge. Also it would be nice to keep the wheels on it to roll around, but might have to take them off I understand.

Anyone have experience with this or can maybe offer some advice? We want to start using it for 10 gallon batches but the temps fluctuate too much here in Florida (especially in summer).

Let me know what you find out. I want a conical but have that exact question. How do you keep it cold? You might be able to do a modified son of fermentation chamber for it. Google it there are several links for designs. Basically it's an insulated box you put frozen water bottles in and have a computer fan on a temp controller recirculate the air through the chamber. Of course you have to keep swapping out water bottles.

Son of fermentation chamber like teknophish said or a fridge with a stc/ Johnson/ ranco digital controller are pretty much your only options..... I would probably go the fridge route. I've seen brewhemoths (22 gallon) and 27 gallon versions of the fermenator like you have in stand up freezers.... yours will fit your just gonna have to look. Try Craig's list

Southern Brewing in Tampa uses those glass door retail beverage coolers for their conical fermenters. Those can get pricey though.

If it fits and runs go for it, while the son of fermentation chamber should work I'd be worried about the humidity you guys have in Florida.... and if you go with the freezer and the conical you could lager your beer all in the same vessel.

Back