advice on a tripel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiebosox

Reaction score
Need some advice on a tripel recipe im putting together. I took a lot of it from Jamil’s recommendations from his show on tripels and a few modifications of my own. Let me know what you think:

Briess Pilsner 13 lbs, 0 oz

Briess 2 Row Carapils 1 lbs, 0 oz
From my research I think 1 pound of carapils is too much, but I already bought it as one grain bill.

2.5 pounds table sugar.
I have a pound of candi sugar but jamil says it’s a waste of money and table sugar works just as good. He also recommends to add it as a syrup after fermentation starts to die down since if you add it up front the yeast goes after the simple sugars first and could have trouble with the maltose. This could lead to bad attenuation.

Tettnang, German Pellets 2 oz @ 60 mins

Hallertau Pellets, German 1 oz @ 5 mins
The IBU’s are still a shade low for the style but im not sweating it

Wyeast Labs Trappist High Gravity 3787
I’ll be doing a starter on this.

Jamil recommended at least 3-4 volume for carbonation. I think that means to up the addition of priming sugar by about an ounce.

Mash at 149 degrees to get it as dry as possible and push it to an hour and a half to get conversion. Boil for 75 minutes instead of 60.

OG of 1.091. Assuming a final gravity of about 1.021 that gives me 9.2 abv. Hopefully my FG will be lower as the big pitfall for tripels from what ive read is it comes out too sweet.

Ive heard if I up the carbonation to close to 4 volumes I cant reuse regular american ipa bottles. Is this true? What about the larger 650 ml ones?

that recipe and procedure all looks good to me, i'd say you did a good job on your homework. anyone else have some finer pointers?

Assuming a final gravity of about 1.021 that gives me 9.2 abv. Hopefully my FG will be lower as the big pitfall for tripels from what ive read is it comes out too sweet.

Which is generally why they don't include crystal malts. You can't cut down on or eliminate the carapils? Anyway, it's not like it's going to ruin the beer, you'll just have a bigger bodied, slightly sweeter triple. You can always mash lower, to 145 for 90-120 minutes with no mashout to compensate. Boiling for 90 minutes seems to be the norm with high %s of pilsner malt, so that may be advised, too. I wouldn't carb much over 3 volumes with standard longneck bottles. RebelBrewer sells 16oz bottles they claim are heavy and imported from Belgium. It might be worth your while to email them and see if they think they'll hold up to high levels of carbonation. Either that, or you need to start drinking some Trappist ales, and quickly!

^^^ Sure, that can help up attenuation in most cases. The process is simple. Leave your sugar out of the boil. When fermentation begins to slow down and most visible activity has stopped, boil the sugar with enough water to make a thin syrup. Chill, then add to the fermentor.

the 2.5lbs of sugar will ferment out 100%, so your FG will be <1.02, id guess closer to 80-85% attenuation is expected

Back