Advice needed - Not enough space in secondary with fruit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
So I made a Blonde that I wanted to mix with peaches. I pasteurized the peaches, cooled them, and racked onto them but it turned out with as much as I added there was not enough room in my clearing tank for about 3/4 gallon of beer. So I siphoned the rest off into another sanitized container and rigged up an airlock.

Should I just let them condition separately and have a little bit of non-fruit beer or would it be okay to mix them back together when I siphon the fruited beer off the fruit and into tertiary?

(Yeah I know some of you think fruit beer is an abomination but I wanted to try one!)

Thanks...

assuming your other container doesn't have too much headspace and wont oxidize, then I'd say your fine with racking everything together into the tertiary.

I had the same issue a few weeks ago with a plum witbier i made. I used over 8# of pureed wild plums and had to transfer 4.5 gal of the wit onto the fruit in a 6.5 gal carboy. Even then there was very little headspace. After a week I racked it to a tertiary 5 gal carboy for additonal clearing of the fruit matter before I bottled.

Relax, everyone ventures to the dark side of fruit beers at least once, I think.

Gotta please the ladies. :ban:

Yeah unfortunately there is a lot of headspace on the leftovers because the only usable container I had around was a 6.5 gal plastic fermenter. I could have put it in a 1 gal plastic jug but they are not food-grade so I figured it would oxidize for sure.

Maybe I'll do a taste test when it's time for tertiary and see if the non-fruit beer tastes like it's supposed to.

Back