Advice for outlet installation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwc_617

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some time in the coming weeks I will be installing a flush mount 14-30R outlet in my kitchen to feed the next phase of my e-brewery. (I have been running a 120v RIMS with my HLT & boil pot on the gas stove, but I am ready for better HLT control and faster boil, so 240v, here I come.) Anyway, the 240v outlet will go into existing drywall, it must look professional, and it must stand up to repeated push-pull loads since I will plug-in at the start of each brew day and unplug at the end. I have looked at the "old work" (aka remodeling) outlet boxes which have little plastic tabs for securing the box to the inside face of the drywall, but I can't picture those holding up over time. Any advice on a simple and strong installation? Thinking about cutting the hole for the box adjacent to a stud and then attaching that side of the box to the stud with a couple of screws.

--Rob C
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 1986.

Although a 'new work' box would be ideal, it's not worth the extra effort. The 'old work' box will do just fine. I've installed several of them and you have nothing to worry about.

I have installed a few remodeler's boxes around my house. Some get heavy use. I'd bet anything you want you would not be able to tell new from old.

^^ I agree with him completely, but I would definatley hit a stud if I were doing it. just cause it would make me feel better.

Thanks, guys.

--Rob C
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

if you can get the new work box next to a stud, you can get a probably add a screw or two through the drywall and into the stud adjacent to it - but not too close to the hole - to solid it up. A little touch up with joint compound or whatever and its good to go. Sometimes I put a screw through the box and into the stud, too.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I know that they make an old work style box that you can install next to a stud and it has screws to fasten to the stud
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416401604.917767.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416401615.547262.jpg

Keg #1 - IPA
Keg #2 - Dos Borrachos ( Mexican Cerveza)
Keg #3 - Frostbite (Winter Ale)
Keg #4 - empty
Primary #1- Lights out Stout (Irish Stout)
Primary #2- Kölsch
Primary #3- Hefeweizen
Primary #4- Letting off Steam ( Steam Ale)

Exactly what I'm looking for, ShockedHop! Any links or brand names for those?

--Rob C

Found it! Arlington F102.

--Rob C

Where have those been all my life? Not at Home Depot, obviously. Perfect!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Not to be the Debbie downer, but I'm not a huge fan of those. A few reasons... It's hard to get them to stay aligned as you screw them in, you're a slave to locating it next to a stud, and the stud can't have Romex stapled to it. Tab style Remodelers boxes are so much user friendly, I think.

The Arlington products are great if you have a local supply house that carries them. I'd definitely prefer their old work box that screws to the stud if it works for you. My second choice is the Carlon Super Blue boxes that you can get at any Home Depot. If you start by cutting an undersized hole adjacet to a stud you can check and see if there is romex stapled to the stud and then choose which will work best for you (Arlington if no romex or Carlon) and cut a full size hole once you know.

Not to be the Debbie downer, but I'm not a huge fan of those. A few reasons... It's hard to get them to stay aligned as you screw them in, you're a slave to locating it next to a stud, and the stud can't have Romex stapled to it. Tab style Remodelers boxes are so much user friendly, I think.

I dont mind them that much. I don't think that I would use them everyday at work, but they have there applications. Just seemed like this would be best for the situation.

Back