Advice for making starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuknkrvl

Reaction score
Hey everybody.

Let's say I want to make a starter, but I don't have an Erlenmeyer flask and I'm looking to Macguyver the thing.

What would you say is an acceptable substitute? Is anything I can sanitize and is big enough to hold the volume a good option? Anything I should avoid?

I'm working with five gallon batches and BeerSmith is recommending anywhere from 1-1.5 liter starters for my recipes.

Thanks!

I like to use glass cider jugs from the grocery store. Ive got 3 1.2L ones that I use for 800ml starters when Im blending yeasts for a 5gal batch. You can find gallon sized ones though. Just get a foam stopper or usually a #6 or #7 stopper fits it. You could also just go with aluminum foil but im more particular about sanitation.

Theres also cheap wine tha comes in big glass jugs that ive seen people using

Before I had a flask and stir plate, I would just boil in a large sauce pan, cool it down, and then transfer it into a clean and sanitized growler. Cover with foil and give it a good swirl as often as you can. I prefer glass over plastic because it's easier to clean, but almost any jar type vessel should do the trick as long as it's clean and sanitized.

Yep, anything you can sanitize will work. I don't really get the fixation with Erlenmeyers. I use growlers and gallon glass juice jugs just fine. If you're using a stirplate, then you want the bottom to be relatively flat so the stirbar will spin freely.

One other question...

If I'm making a starter from a Wyeast smack pack, should I still add additional yeast nutrient to the starter, or is the nutrient pack in the yeast sufficient?

One other question...

If I'm making a starter from a Wyeast smack pack, should I still add additional yeast nutrient to the starter, or is the nutrient pack in the yeast sufficient?

FWIW, I only use any additional nutrients if I am makign a starter out of very old yeast or yeast I harvested that has a very small amount of it in

Before I had a flask and stir plate, I would just boil in a large sauce pan, cool it down, and then transfer it into a clean and sanitized growler. Cover with foil and give it a good swirl as often as you can. I prefer glass over plastic because it's easier to clean, but almost any jar type vessel should do the trick as long as it's clean and sanitized.

This is exactly my procedure. 1 liter will fit easily in a 64-oz growler (I start with a bit over a quart, and boil for about 15 minutes. I usually end up with a quart or a touch less going in. I do use yeast nutrient - I got in the habit after a starter didn't take off the way I wanted and since it works for me, I don't change things.

Back