Advice for breweries in lancaster PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
I may be planning a long weekend with the SWMBO. She loves wine and I love beer. So I was trying to see what good breweries are in Lancaster PA that we can check out. I know there are a few wineries also, so I am hoping it just so happens that a brewery and a winery are somewhat close together. Any help appreciated.

Well there's always Lancaster Brewing Company....the food and beer are pretty good...nothing incredibly standout but a nice environment and decent stuff all around. Their two best are probably the Milk Stout and the Hop Hog IPA (but everyone's preferences vary :) )

Not even a block away is Quips Pub which isn't a brewpub but they've got a nice laid back environment and standard irish pub fare. The beers are generally off and on with this place but it's an overall good place to hit up. (The shepherd's pie was awesome last time I had it)

Iron Hill Lancaster is also really nice, great beers that rotate seasonally (the brewer at the Lancaster location seems to like Belgian-style brewing the best from what I've seen, but their beer menu is pretty varied usually). The menu can get a little more pricey but is still pretty reasonable for the quality of the food you get.

If you're into the sports bar type of place there's a bar/restaurant, The Brickyard that is alright. They don't have much on tap but carry an alright selection of bottles (DFH seasonals are what I remember from the last time I was there). Be careful with this place on weekend nights as it draws a huge college crowd that can be pretty overbearing.

I can't speak much to the wine aspect as I always just forced my SWMBO to come along to the beer places :mug:

Are you willing to drive 45 min to Harrisburg? There is Appalachian Brewing up here and Troegs. As for wineries http://www.pennsylvaniawine.com/Wineries.aspx

There is also a brewery at the PA Renaissance fair, it's Swashbuckler (same place as mount hope winery), and another brew pub called Bube's. If you don't mind driving a little further east you could hit Stoudts,and if you wanted to drive a touch past Allentown there's Weyerbacher. Lots of small things in between.

http://beermapping.com/maps/maps.php?m=northeastern#lat=40.48038142908172&lng=-75.36346435546875&z=8

I just was at Lancaster Brewing a few weeks ago. Yes, Hop Hog is their best beer. I have had it before and was not thrilled. turns our Lionshead brews and distributes the beer for them and they cant seem to get it right! At the restaurant/brewery they brew all the beer on premises. The don't distribute from there. (Growlers are your best bet) I would say the Hop Hog on cask was up there is top 20 IPA i had. Not the best, but will be nice. Not to mention, We had some hot hippy bartender. (Always helps)

Also, don't Forget Victory Brewery, about 35 - 45 minutes away. This place is a must! Food is awesome and the rotating draft list is up there with the best. Plus they have good brewery tours, check out the website.

Let me know how the trip goes! I am from the general area, if you find anything else let me know!

Lancaster county is now home to 8 breweries...
Stoudts in Adamstown -brewery / restaurant
Union Barrell Works near adamstown - brewpub
Lancaster brewing company - lancaster - brewpub
iron hill - Lancaster - brewpub
spring house brewery - conestoga - brewery / growlers
Joboys brew pub - manheim - bbq brewpub - only open 1 month
swashbuckler - manheim - brewpub
bubes - mount joy - brewpub

enjoy your stay in Lancaster.

Stoudts in Adamstown was rated by the Food Network Channel as one the best places in the US for a good beer and a steak.

Lancaster county is now home to 8 breweries...

bubes - mount joy - brewpub

enjoy your stay in Lancaster.

Can you still eat in the Catacombs @ Bube's? If so, I would highly recommend it just for the experience. I ate there ages ago and had a great time!

all great recommendations... if you want to find all of these breweries on one map (and every other brewery in the U.S. and Canada), check out www.pubquest.com

cheers!

The posters above me pretty much have all the options covered, but I'll just add to the chorus supporting Stoudt's. The beer is great (Stoudt's Pils is possibly the best, most perfectly-balanced pilsener I've ever had), the food is good, and there's a nifty antique market along with some other shops right there in the Stoudt's Village. The tour is also worth it if you're there on a Saturday; Ed Stoudt can be a piece of work, but he's got some pretty nice equipment packed into that little brewhouse.

And if you feel like venturing a bit out of the way (just north of the Berks County border), Long Trout Winery is a great stop to make. It's built around a surprisingly funny hippie theme, and the owners are great people. Not to mention that they've got the most creative variety of wines I've ever seen...everything from grapes, to chocolate, to hot pepper, to pumpkin, to mead-- and it's all damn tasty. Of course, I may be a bit biased because I'm a sort of volunteer assistant vintner there;).

all great recommendations... if you want to find all of these breweries on one map (and every other brewery in the U.S. and Canada), check out www.pubquest.com

cheers!
Or even better if you want to find more than just pubs Beermapping. That is if you want to find a place that sells beer as opposed to just serving it. I like to find all the beer stores in an area so I can see if I can find some hidden gems. Plus it is updated a bit more.

Back