adventures in brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpjardim

Reaction score
Right,
So I just took my "oktoberfest" lager which I brewed/fermented back in ~April 2011 out of the fridge which has been ~30s.
I bulk fermented 6 gall from then till now, knowing about the possiblilty of the off horrible off flavours from dead and dying yeasties (mostly cause I was busy and lazy).

Tasted it....fantastic, to me there is no mistaking the taste of the wonderful german malts.

So I put 4oz of table sugar (disolved in water) in the bucket yest after stirring it up a bit.
Yeah....so I got lazy again and busy and never got to bottling it all.

So, after some deliberation, I decided to bottle today cause I'm going away soon.
We shall see if it carbonates or not.
1. Maybe the yeasties weren't activate due to higher temp to eat the table sugar and
2. May the table sugar takes a little long to ferment.

Anybody with any similar situation?
Anybody tried adding sesame to brew? I'm thinking of adding toasted sesame after fermentation.

FYI section:
1. Jus tincase you were ever wondering, if you get white labs live yeast, you can definitely use only half of the vial and the 5gal wort will ferment just fine. I have done this many times.

FYI section:
1. Jus tincase you were ever wondering, if you get white labs live yeast, you can definitely use only half of the vial and the 5gal wort will ferment just fine. I have done this many times.

I just used a full vial and got no gallons.... :)

You need to add sugar at the time of bottling to get carbonation. The 4 oz of table sugar that you added X number of days ago should be fermented out by now, and you'll need to add sugar again once you are actually bottling to ensure carbonation.

Just because you didn't SEE active fermentation when you added the 4oz of table sugar doesn't mean it didn't ferment out. 4oz is not much, and wouldn't take much for the yeast to convert.

I think you already bottled anyway, and you are going to have pretty flat beer. Should still taste pretty good, though!

Latest posts

Back