Adjusting flow rate on pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRems

Reaction score
Hi, during my last brew session I was having trouble adjusting the flow rate of one of my pumps. I was fly sparging( herms system) and had no problem last time when I was using a friends chugger pump. Matching the flow rate of my LG 3-md-hc to the chugger seemed easy last time. I got a good deal on a pump so I wouldn't have to borrow the chugger but I think it's too big. It's a LG 5-md-hc it's 1/8hp. I think the 3-md-hc Is 1/12 and the chugger is 1/25. The problem was even with the ball valve cracked open it was way too much volume. Would using a gate valve instead of a ball valve help any or is this pump too big? At full blast I can shoot a stream of water at least 20 ft with this thing. I think it's a bit overkill. Any suggestions

I use a 1/2" brass gate valve from the hardware store. It works so much better than the ball valve I used to use. The flow control is much finer than a ball valve.

SS needle valves can be pricey (in the $100 range, only marginally more pricey than SS gate valves), so your options are somewhat limited if you can't step that ball valve down accurately enough. You could go with a brass gate valve if you're not averse to using brass in your system. That is a personal choice. Gate valves are not designed for flow control/restriction, although some people have used them for years without issue given the minimal pressure a brewing pump creates vs say, city water coming into your home at a high PSI level.

Thanks, brass is no problem. That's what i'm using now anyway. I'll try a brass gate valve and see how it goes

Latest posts

Back