adjuncts for wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumanchu

Reaction score
I'm about to embark on my first partial mash. And when I say partial, I mean very little. I'll be using about 1 to 1.5 lbs of grains. A mix of 2 row, crystal, munich, and wheat.

Now, I'm not at all against the idea of adding a bunch sugar to a brew. I think it makes it quite nice and not so filling as using all malt. I think the main thing is to primary ferment at a high enough temperature with yeast that doesn't suck (I'm totally not using the yeast that came with this can).

Anyhow, that means the 1.5k can of brewferm tarwebier I'll be brewing will have a total 750g of sugar added to it.

I've decided on 1lb of candi dugar I've made from turbinado.

Suggestions on what other kinds of sugar might go well with a blanche?

fumanchu said:
I'm about to embark on my first partial mash. And when I say partial, I mean very little. I'll be using about 1 to 1.5 lbs of grains. A mix of 2 row, crystal, munich, and wheat.

Now, I'm not at all against the idea of adding a bunch sugar to a brew. I think it makes it quite nice and not so filling as using all malt. I think the main thing is to primary ferment at a high enough temperature with yeast that doesn't suck (I'm totally not using the yeast that came with this can).

Anyhow, that means the 1.5k can of brewferm tarwebier I'll be brewing will have a total 750g of sugar added to it.

I've decided on 1lb of candi dugar I've made from turbinado.

Suggestions on what other kinds of sugar might go well with a blanche?

So from what I've read going over 20% sugar you start to develop cider favors in your beer. It also dries the beer out and reduces the body. Without malt, it's essentially un-distilled rum.

This is a large misconception. I don't have the expertise to give a clear explanation....but there is a thread on here about it. And there are brewsters that have made award winning beers with plenty of sugar.

What is the batch size?

You can use sugar but it's all about the balance, a lot of sugar with very little malt does not make good beer, there's no balance for body.

What is your hop schedule?

No hop schedule. I'm only heating 1-2lbs barley, then throwing my sugar, then my brewferm.

We'll see how it turns out anyhow. Hopefully the small mash will churn out more sugar than I expect, seeing as though I'm very inexperienced.

Confused:
What exactly are you trying to brew with 1-2lbs barley and no hops? Your subject is adjuncts for wheat beer?

Wheat beer is supposed to be mildly hopped and use wheat malt in at least 50-60% of the grain bill.

In addition, the previous threads are correct in that adding a bunch a of sugar will dry out and thin out the beer considerably. Fro what I am reading you will wind up with a tasteless batch of really sweet alcoholic water?

No, I wasn't very clear. So I used a Brewferm wheat can (1.5k). This malt is hopped, it's a kit. I decided not to add more hops. I didn't know about the 50-60% wheat ratio. That's alright, since I didn't mash much, around 90% of the malt is from the kit.

I ended up adding around 600g of sugar, which I don't think is too bad. The rest is malt. It is a 4 gallon batch, since I didn't want to add much more sugar. OG is 1.04.

I don't think it will turn out too bad.

Back