Adding yeast nutrient a week into fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spohl1

Reaction score
I am just curious about boiling some bakers yeast and adding it (once cooled) to my beer that has been fermenting for a week. I have 2-5 gallon batches and 2-2 gallon batches brewing and with 1-2 gallon and 1-5 gallon i rehydrated the yeast and that seemed to work way better so should i add the homemade nutrient to the ones i added the yeast dry?

I'm just wondering why you're considering adding yeast nutrient a week into fermentation and assume it must be because your beer hasn't completely fermented out. Normally the time to add yeast nutrient is either at the end of boil or to the cold wort when you pitch your yeast. Adding nutrient at this late stage may not help ( depending on the cause ) but I suppose you could give it a try. In future try using 1/2 tsp Wyeast Nutrient at flame out if you're having fermentation problems or maybe just pitch a larger amount of yeast.

Im just curious if its a good idea as the 2 batches i rehydrated the yeast seemed to have a much more active fermentation. Im not sure if i need to or not but i just want it to have the best possible chance of fully fermenting as the yeast with the extract kits was past the best before date

Back