Adding Vitamins to Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krops13

Reaction score
I thought I saw this before but the search function failed me. So what is the census of this. Possibly tossing in X amount of multivitamin pills right at the end of the boil or possibly into the secondary or keg.

I dont think it would hurt if they are unflavored...but whats the point? Just use the beer to wash down your pills.

Drink the slug of yeast at the bottom of each bottle? Seriously I don't think there is any additive that will lessen hangovers.

To fight your hangover, drink quite a bit of water, take a tsp of bread yeast (B12) and a few Tylenol to help with the constriction of blood vessels.

Hansen Beverage, is that you? Energy Beer tips eh? We'll go Vermonster on your posterior!

I was thinking of adding caffeine powder to one of my brews. Add a little extra kick. I need to find the right beer to try it with.

If you try it. Lets us know if it affects the flavor.

Maybe you would not be able to figure out how much of certain vitamins you are consuming that should be liminted? Even if you could, would that limit the number of beers you can drink? Would you need to consume a certain number of beers to get your desired vitamin dose? I assume you take vitamins, would that mean you stop? Break them in 1/2?

To fight your hangover, drink quite a bit of water, take a tsp of bread yeast (B12) and a few Tylenol to help with the constriction of blood vessels.

Hansen Beverage, is that you? Energy Beer tips eh? We'll go Vermonster on your posterior!

I heard tylenol should never be taken while drinking. I heard it can cause liver damage, is that still true?

I heard tylenol should never be taken while drinking. I heard it can cause liver damage, is that still true?

Sure, chronic drinking changes the way acetaminophen is processed in the body. The "warning" is more for consistently heavy drinkers than a once in a while hangover though.

One need to ask oneself if the drinking causes the liver damage, the Tylenol oxidizing in the liver causes the damage or if your liver is already damaged.

You can take other pain killers as well, but they all cause something, ulcers, upset stomach, or renal damage. Grandpa always said, "Ya gotta die from something..."

:D

yeast is HEAVY on the vitamin B ( 20 % by weight or something).

most of what the multivitamins use for B-complex is dried yeast (even though it smells like that "Sea Monkeys" powder). And if what I read is true, the b vitamins are what you deplete digesting and metabolising the alcohol (and what it took to make them first).

vitamins are IN your beer.

maybe, add a slice of lemon? let me know how it turns out.

(hey are there any beers that have the USDA daily recommendations on them? I'd love to know the difference between filtered and not!)

It's common for home distillers to put a multi-vitamin in thier "beer" primarily as a yeast nutrient. Any off flavors or heavy minerals are distilled off.

I would not put on in my homebrew. Vitamins taste like crap.

You're right. Tylenol is the #1 cause of liver damage in America. Take ibuprofen if want take drugs.

WOW I didn't know this thread blew up!!! I also have been told acetaminophen ( Tylenol) and Ibuprofen (Motrin) are both big no-no's when it comes to hangover remedies. A friend of mine got a DUI (*******) and was forced to attend a class, the class was more about educating him as a drinker then it was telling him how dumb he was and they repeated that acetaminophen ( Tylenol) and Ibuprofen (Motrin) were never to be taken after a drinking binge. The vitamin B idea is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Something to fight the inevitable head pounding. And maybe toss in some Omega-3 fatty acids cant get enough of those. Nothing to crazy on the amounts, calculate it to be along the lines of two pills per 6 beers. So you body isn't overwhelmed with vitamins even thought it discards what it doesn't need ( like when you pee orange after taking B vitamins) I'd rather play it safe. O and possibly some fiber too. ( I know yeast will make you poo, I'd rather do it a little more comfortably then all the gas build up and then crap out a lung.)

Just drink the yeast with every beer like its served in Belgium or maybe and this is crazy but drink less

Photo from http://belgianbeerboard.com/

3257970114_38d57f195d_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the OP question...I would worry that the vitamins have preservatives that might inhibit yeast growth/fermentation.

Every now and then someone posts on here asking why their fermentations stalled after adding some whacky ingredient/additive. It usually turns out that that additive had a s*itload of preservatives in it.

Bert Grant's food analysis for his Scottish Ale

The recently deceased founder of Yakima Beverages, a famed Washington microbrewery, Bert Grant was a Canadian brewery chemist in the 1940s when the discoveries were made that beer was an ideal source of B-complex vitamins. Armed with this personal history, he had his favorite microbrew analyzed by Seibel Laboratories.

Satisfied, but not surprised, with the results, he configured a sticker containing the analysis to attach to the beer's sixpack cartons so that his customers could make appropriate decisions as do with other common foods. The lab's report included the following nutritional data in a single bottle:

calories, 145
protein, 2.24 grams
carbohydrates, 12.7 grams
fat, none
cholesterol, none
sodium, 8 milligrams
potassium, 195 milligrams

Recommended Daily Allowances

calories, 5.4%
protein, 4.0%
Riboflavin (B2), 4.6%
Niacin, 14.5%
folacin, 62.5%
pyroxin (B6), 13.9%
vitamin B12, 170.0%

Note: It is illegal to put most nutritional information on alcoholic beverages in the USA.

I have had the same question and I don't really think its silly either.

What I believe the OP is thinking is that it would just be 'neat' to do. I doubt he is going to drink beer as a form of vitamin, or cut back on any dietary supplement he is currently taking. However, wouldn't it be neat to give a beer to a friend and say something like "it has more vitamins that Wheaties"? I think it would be.

Just another little quirk that could be added as a neat factor to some beers.

Latest posts

Back