Adding to a Kolch Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeirKaiser

Reaction score
My dentist, who brews 3 beers at a time, was given a Northern Brewery Kolsch kit. It wasn't his style so he gave it to me. Here are the contents of the box:
- 1lb Pilsen dry malt extract (60min)
- 6lbs Pilsen malt syrup late addition (15min)
- 1oz Tradition (60min)
- 1oz Hersbrucker (30min)

It doesn't come with yeast so I'm going with liquid WL029

I was wondering if I could tweet this recipe with anything extra. Because it is an Altbeir, you wouldn't be caught dead adding any fruits or anything like that. You would upset a lot of people in Cologne. The only thing I can think of would be a partial grain mash to up the ABV, use a significantly different yeast, or to use something besides simple sugar for a primer. I know kolschs are simple beers and they're not on the top of my list but I was hoping someone would know of something different to make this plain recipe a little more interesting.

Danke! Prost!

Thank you! I think that will give it the bit more taste I'm looking for

I would say just leave it be. Northern Brewer kits are some of the best you can buy, and Kolsch is supposed to be a simple beer. And I would just use Safale US-05. I think you would be hard pressed to tell a difference in a blind taste test.

You should ferment that sucker out with Brett and some bugs. Kolsch would make a pretty good base for an awesome funky sour. Just my two cents though. Have a great brew day regardless.

Latest posts

Back