Adding some US-05 to slow hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Have an extract hefe stuck at 1.021 tastes kind of sweet. Been in primary for 2 weeks. If I toss in say half a pack of US-05 will it ferment it out a little more?

Probably. But how long has it been at 1.021 and how are you measuring?

Assuming the wort/beer is warm enough, my guess would be a yeast issue. Normally, I'd suspect a mash that produced a very unfermentable wort, but that shouldn't happen with extract.

You could pitch some US-05, but that will probably attenuate the beer more than your original hefe strain should have. If you don't want that, I'd pitch more of the same strain.

Assuming the wort/beer is warm enough, my guess would be a yeast issue. Normally, I'd suspect a mash that produced a very unfermentable wort, but that shouldn't happen with extract.

You could pitch some US-05, but that will probably attenuate the beer more than your original hefe strain should have. If you don't want that, I'd pitch more of the same strain.
Well I pitched some US05 let’s see what happens. I guess we can just call it an American Hefe? Lol

Back