Adding raw ingredients at secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gipson

Reaction score
I have a recipe which calls for adding fresh ginger, candied ginger and dried apricots at secondary. Is it safe to add these directly to my 2nd bucket? Just concerned about sanitation.

Also, I've never worked with fresh ginger in a beer before. I assume I should slice, but should I peel?

Unfortunately my recipe doesn't provide any direction here, and it's my first time working with these ingredients at this stage of the process.

I would slice and peel that way you increase surface area contact with the beer

You could try soaking in vodka if u want to be safe or just throw in :)

I've used a peeler before for just such a thing. I though it a bit easier than slicing. As far as sanitation, there's an alcohol rich environment in the beer you have now. Not saying you don't have to care about cleanliness. Just not as much as before fermentation. I would just give everything a good rinse and throw it in.

Btw I've been making cucumber and ginger kombucha at home...I've noticed a little ginger goes a long way!

I add ginger to my boil, usually during the last 15 minutes and 5 minutes. The last amounts I used were 1.5 oz each addition. I wash and then chop the ginger. Another cool addition is lemongrass. very powerful about .25 oz at 30 minutes. Good Luck

Back