Adding more yeast? 1.086

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdinsBrew

Reaction score
I've got a batch chugging away in fermentation now. I made up the recipe and got a higher OG than I thought. The first night I took a reading and it was 1.095 which I thought was high. I took another the next day after swirling things around and it was 1.086. I pitched White labs Cali Pale yeast which says not to worry if your OG is < 1.070. I know I should've made a starter, but I've also heard at the LHBS about adding wine or barely wine yeast. When and how much of that should I add? and if you have recommendations on which strain from white labs that would be great too.

Thanks!

Also just as a side note, I find it interesting how much the primary temp changes from the yeast doing their thing.

kinda hard to say since I'm making it up, but I guess a California style Double Pale Ale. About 9.5lbs of fermentable grains, a little sugar, 2.35lbs of flavoring grains, lots of hops. I'm going for a Cali pale, with a little bit of wheat, honey, light carmel tastes, full body, sweet, citrus, rounded, hops.

Your OG is higher then the wine I made last night. Next time you may want to try a high alcohol tolerant yeast. I've only done one high gravity and I used White Labs Trappist Ale Yeast. My only advice is do not, DO NOT let your White Labs Trappist Ale Yeast ferment at 85+ F. It made my beer -- err I mean this guy I know's beer taste like nail polish remover with bubble gum flavoring.

Ya my "fermometer" sticker on my carboy is up to 74-78, and 78 is as high as it gets. I just moved it to a cooler spot. Read in BYO that you can put the carboy in a tub of water and a tee shirt around the carboy, dipping into the water. That way the tee shirt wicks up the water and keeps the carboy cooler.
Thanks for the tip on the wl yeast. I'll hone in on a type.

Back