Adding MLF bacteria for controlled secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCN

Reaction score
So there doesn't seem to be a ton of information on MLF when it comes to cider, but I've found a wealth of information on wine making sites and forums that urge a controlled Malo-lactic fermentation by pitching in known strains of bacteria that are on the market.

I found an interview with one professional cider maker who advocates this same process for cider.

So, who here does this? What are your thoughts?

I always pitch MLF culture in my cider, I average about 400 litres a year from my own fruit. MLF is easier in cider than wine because of the high concentration of malic acid and the lower abv. It takes about 4 weeks but the cider will taste a bit flat for a month or 2 afterwards, (you have to give it time to mature) so it isn't a fast process. I think a dry cider tastes much better after MLF, but it probably isn't worth it unless you have a good volume of high quality cider. There is always a good chance of a natural mlf if you keep your so2 low.

I always pitch MLF culture in my cider, I average about 400 litres a year from my own fruit. MLF is easier in cider than wine because of the high concentration of malic acid and the lower abv. It takes about 4 weeks but the cider will taste a bit flat for a month or 2 afterwards, (you have to give it time to mature) so it isn't a fast process. I think a dry cider tastes much better after MLF, but it probably isn't worth it unless you have a good volume of high quality cider. There is always a good chance of a natural mlf if you keep your so2 low.

Have you measured TA before and after? I'm curious if the conversion to lactic acid shows up as a reduction of total acidity too.

I don't measure TA or pH anymore but I know TA goes down and pH up. The important thing is the flavour, malic is a very sour acid so after MLF the cider will be much less sour, lactic acid isn't very sour.

What about a semi-sweet cider? Would you say that it would always benefit from pitching MLF strains, or is it a case by case scenario?

French cider is mostly semi-sweet keeved cider and it always goes through MLF, standard in France. A problem with not doing MLF is your cider may go through natural or wild MLF later on, which is usually ok but may lead to problems. Pitching MLF culture allows you to control the process, and leaves your cider more microbiologically stable. Semi-sweet cider is probably ok without MLF, I make all my ciders dry so I can't say from experience.

French cider is mostly semi-sweet keeved cider and it always goes through MLF, standard in France. A problem with not doing MLF is your cider may go through natural or wild MLF later on, which is usually ok but may lead to problems. Pitching MLF culture allows you to control the process, and leaves your cider more microbiologically stable. Semi-sweet cider is probably ok without MLF, I make all my ciders dry so I can't say from experience.

Thanks, that's good information. Do you pitch while primary is still happening? I've read differing opinions on when is best, but that perhaps while the must still has greater nutrient density for bacteria is a good idea.

I don't think it is very important, except you want warm temperatures. I pitch about a week into primary. Later in the season when ambient temperatures are dropping you need to pitch before the cider gets too cold.

Back