Adding hops after chilling but before pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldfinger0014

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Cooled your wort to pitching temperature, but then adding hops for a period of time, removing them, and then pitching the yeast? I'm not exactly sure what it would do, just curious.

Yes, there are also systems called "Hop Rockets" that you can transfer the wort through on its way to the fermenter to give an additional boost. Traditionally for IPA's. I personally think it's a waste of hops and would rather load the secondary with aroma hops and then even put more in the keg.

It's kind of a whirlpool, but at a much lower temperature. I think you will not get extraction in a few minutes. Dry hopping requires 24 hours to work. 48 hours is what I use. I don't think adding hops and removing those at 68F before pitching yeast will add anything to the beer.

I add in 10% (so 1-2 oz) of my dry hop blend when pitching yeast in NE IPAs, but I don’t remove them.

This way I don’t have to deal with blow off from dry hopping during high krausen.

Latest posts

Back